Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
News server Keep Talking Greece reports that a woman who assaulted a young Romani girl on the streets of Athens four years ago has finally been convicted and sentenced to three months behind bars. The incident happened on 17 September 2013 when the woman saw the seven-year-old sit down on the sidewalk of Dionisiou Aeropagitoy Street, which leads to the Acropolis, and begin playing the accordion.
The woman approached the girl and began pushing at her with her foot. The expression on the girl's face in the photographs of the incident says it all.
She is afraid, and tourists passing by were shocked by the behavior of the woman, who owns a souvenir shop nearby. The woman also yelled at tourists and told them not to give the girl any money.
All of this was captured on the spot by professional photographer Dimitri Messinis. He stood up for the girl and began arguing with her attacker.
After a procedure lasting four years, the perpetrator of this crime has now been sentenced to three months in prison. Racist assaults have been happening more and more frequently in Athens recently.
Some observers point out that most of the attacks are perpetrated by the owners of shops who assault beggars in the vicinity of their businesses. The owners allege that beggars deter potential customers.
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Greek court acquits Golden Dawn MP of assaulting female politicians
- Greece: Suspended sentence for racist remarks made to physician from Nigeria
- Greek Parliament to convene with Golden Dawn MPs in handcuffs
- Greek police say they have prevented ultra-left bombing
- Greek Parliament approves stricter prosecution of racism
- Portugal: Christian radio station awarded prize for working to reduce inter-ethnic tension in Slovakia
- USA: Passer-by calls police on black man babysitting white children
- Holocaust memorial in Czech town will bloom with yellow crocuses in the spring
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
- Czech ultra-nationalist party joins local assembly in the country's second-largest city
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech sociologist refutes President's allegations about Romani unemployment, agrees with ROMEA
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- Czech elections: 13 Romani local assembly members, no Romani senators
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Czech extremist party's campaign rally in Prague legally blocked by counter-event
- USA: Four racists arrested over last year's violence in Charlottesville
Tags:Děti, Racism, Roma, Verdict
Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on public broadcaster to hold a real debate about Romani issues16.10.2018 10:58
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.