Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
News server Keep Talking Greece reports that a woman who assaulted a young Romani girl on the streets of Athens four years ago has finally been convicted and sentenced to three months behind bars. The incident happened on 17 September 2013 when the woman saw the seven-year-old sit down on the sidewalk of Dionisiou Aeropagitoy Street, which leads to the Acropolis, and begin playing the accordion.
The woman approached the girl and began pushing at her with her foot. The expression on the girl's face in the photographs of the incident says it all.
She is afraid, and tourists passing by were shocked by the behavior of the woman, who owns a souvenir shop nearby. The woman also yelled at tourists and told them not to give the girl any money.
All of this was captured on the spot by professional photographer Dimitri Messinis. He stood up for the girl and began arguing with her attacker.
After a procedure lasting four years, the perpetrator of this crime has now been sentenced to three months in prison. Racist assaults have been happening more and more frequently in Athens recently.
Some observers point out that most of the attacks are perpetrated by the owners of shops who assault beggars in the vicinity of their businesses. The owners allege that beggars deter potential customers.
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Some charges dropped against Romani couple in Greece who cared for Romani child from Bulgaria
- Greek court acquits Golden Dawn MP of assaulting female politicians
- Greece: Suspended sentence for racist remarks made to physician from Nigeria
- Greek Parliament to convene with Golden Dawn MPs in handcuffs
- Greek police say they have prevented ultra-left bombing
- Greek Parliament approves stricter prosecution of racism
- Ukraine: Third arson attack against Roma in a month, firearms also used against 7 adults, 30+ children
- Czech trial of shooting at Romani music camp hears testimony about shooter's verbal abuse as well
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- Czech commemoration of Holocaust at Terezín Memorial will again not feature the Romani flag
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Hungary: Open Society Foundation closing in Budapest due to Government persecution
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
- OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
- EU Agency for Fundamental Rights finds Czech Republic the place that rejects Romani people the most
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
Tags:Děti, Racism, Roma, Verdict
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.