HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
A social media post has gone viral through the Czech and Slovak-language Internet alleging that an Austrian news broadcast on live TV "accidentally" featured content of bodies in body bags that was allegedly being faked - in the footage, one of the bodies can be seen beginning to move on its own, allegedly revealing that the image is a "fraud". While the author of the post does not directly allege fakery in his comment, most of those sharing the footage relate it to COVID-19 and comment that it allegedly proves the entire pandemic is being "faked".
The footage, however, is from the live broadcast of an anti-climate crisis demonstration. Czech news server Manipulátoři.cz has pointed this out.
Posted to the social network TikTok, the video has been shared thousands of times there and Czech Facebook users, including Romani community members, are sharing it on that particular social media. When one looks closely at the video, one can see its headline reads "Wien: Demo gegen klimap…" and that some people in the background are holding a banner.
Those aspects make it clear that the footage is of an anti-climate change demonstration. The "Fridays for Future" movement held the protest in Vienna on 4 February and climate activists sought to draw attention to a study showing that 49 people die every day due the climate crisis.
The 49 people in the body bags were playing the role of climate change victims during the demonstration. The footage itself, therefore, is not about COVID-19 and does not involve a scam of any kind.
- Facebook users including Romani community in Czech Republic falling for Canadian HOAX about alleged arrest of pharma exec
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- The online hoax phenomenon and how to address it
- Czech-language internet users, Roma included, fall for debunked hoax about mass wedding of adults and children
- Czech Republic: Anti-refugee hoax online after gas station attendants mistake Roma from Slovakia for "refugees"
- EU Justice Ministers call on Facebook to be stricter about removing hoaxes and threats
- Yet another Czech tabloid news server perpetrates a racist hoax
- Czech Republic: HateFree Culture project refutes online hoaxes about refugees
- UK: Right-wing extremists use social networks to propagandize through kidnapping hoax
- Czech tabloid report on Romani political party may be a hoax
- Hoax party ridicules Czech Christian Democrat leader Cunek
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Czech analyst compares disinformation purveyors to the untrustworthy sellers of overpriced cookware
- Czech activist: Refuting the half-truths, rumors and untruths spreading about the Romani mothers and children fleeing Russia's war on Ukraine
- DECEPTIVE HOAX: No, Amazon has not fired 400 workers in Czech Republic because of refugees from Ukraine
- Pro-Kremlin fakery and manipulation: What to make of Russian claims of Ukraine's alleged "genocide", Fascism and Nazism?
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- Jaroslav Miko: We are threatened not just by the aggressive policies and hybrid attacks of Russia, but by Czech "patriots" falling for Russian propaganda
- Excluded Roma in Slovakia have died of COVID-19 more than non-Roma due to low rates of vaccination, their employment rates have also stagnated
- Czech city refutes allegations that Romani people get public transport, swimming pool access and taxi service for free
- The disinformation war in 2021: Main targets were Ukraine, COVID-19, and who is responsible for refugees
- Posting a declaration to Facebook DOES NOT mean they cannot use your photographs and videos
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand