Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
Roma rights activist and Hungary’s former MEP Viktoria Mohacsi has left the country to settle in Canada, daily Nepszabadsag reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources close to the politician.
Under the previous, Socialist governments Mohacsi worked as ministerial commissioner in charge of the integration of children from Roma communities or living in deep poverty. She was delegated to the European Parliament by Hungary’s liberal Free Democratic Party, which has now become virtually defunct.
Mohacsi is known to have left the country in December to apply for political asylum in Canada. Back in 2009 she had applied for police protection due to serious threats she had received. Several sources told the paper that Mohacsi could not find a position and was struggling with financial problems.
Nepszabadsag has not been able to contact Mohacsi.
- Slovak Romani people travelling to visit relatives not allowed on planes in Warsaw, some have lost their life savings
- Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Hungarian city pays Roma to move away, they are emigrating to Canada en masse
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- Canadian media: Czech visas lifted for EU trade agreement
- Canada advises Romani people to stay home in Hungary
- Czech Supreme Court: No redress for "special school" enrollment
- Canada may lift Czech visas once asylum process speeds up
- Many questions, few answers for Toronto’s Roma: Fiorito
- Hungary urges EU members to present Roma plans
- Youth Response to Xenophobia and Racism in Europe: Guidelines
Saturday's incident during which a man drove a car into a crowd of people in Charlottesville, Virginia is being investigated by the FBI. Unrest broke out in the town
that was provoked by two assemblies by white extremists there beginning Friday.
videoUnique Czechoslovak film from 1960 about the concentration camp for Roma at Lety screening on Romea.cz13.8.2017 20:05
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.