Hungarian Roma activist, former member of European Parliament emigrates to Canada
Roma rights activist and Hungary’s former MEP Viktoria Mohacsi has left the country to settle in Canada, daily Nepszabadsag reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources close to the politician.
Under the previous, Socialist governments Mohacsi worked as ministerial commissioner in charge of the integration of children from Roma communities or living in deep poverty. She was delegated to the European Parliament by Hungary’s liberal Free Democratic Party, which has now become virtually defunct.
Mohacsi is known to have left the country in December to apply for political asylum in Canada. Back in 2009 she had applied for police protection due to serious threats she had received. Several sources told the paper that Mohacsi could not find a position and was struggling with financial problems.
Nepszabadsag has not been able to contact Mohacsi.
- Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
- Czech Republic: Canadian education expert says only an inclusive school is a really good school
- Hungarian city pays Roma to move away, they are emigrating to Canada en masse
- Canadian Muslims condemn Islamist radical violence, now face increased aggression themselves
- Canadian media: Czech visas lifted for EU trade agreement
- Canada advises Romani people to stay home in Hungary
- Czech Supreme Court: No redress for "special school" enrollment
- Canada may lift Czech visas once asylum process speeds up
- Many questions, few answers for Toronto’s Roma: Fiorito
- Hungary urges EU members to present Roma plans
- Youth Response to Xenophobia and Racism in Europe: Guidelines
- Jewish, Roma youth meet in Hungary
Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable17.3.2017 15:03
Patrik Banga: I'm for collecting ethnic data in all areas, but the majority can't tell who is Romani17.3.2017 10:17
discussion about whether estimating the numbers of Romani people should even happen and if so, what the appropriate method is to use.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.