Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
Damian Le Bas, a leading artist from the Romani community, passed away on Saturday, 9 December 2017 at the age of 54 at home in the small British town of Worthing in West Sussex. The Kai Dikhas Gallery in Berlin, Germany announced the sad news.
Mr Le Bas was best known for his work in collage and drawing, through which he transformed maps. His work investigated questions of borders and the existence of a safe space - a homeland - for Romani people.
He was one of 16 artists exhibiting as part of "Paradise Lost", the first Roma and Sinti Pavilion at the Venice Biennale in 2007. Before exhibiting on that occasion he had been an "unknown florist" studying at the Royal College of Art in London, news server Spiegel.de reports.
Mr Le Bas also exhibited at the 2007 Prague Biennale 3 in Prague, Czech Republic. According to Kai Dikhas, his work was considered an example of art brut or "outsider art", and he was a leading figure among contemporary Romani and Sinti artists in Europe.
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Slovakia: Meet Erik D., Romani street artist
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Timea Junghaus for Romea.cz: Romani artists have the potential to create an innovative Romani identity
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Czech artist's guide to Brno neighborhood nominated for award, Romani activists are not happy
- Review: Czech artist's "guide" to slumming in Brno's Romani neighborhood is a tasteless mockery
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- VIDEO: Gala celebration of International Romani Day 2019 in Prague's Archa Theater
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
- Richard Samko's message to the late singer Věra Bílá: Me, nikda nazabisterav, palikerav tumege
- VIDEO: 2 000 people in Rokycany, Czech Republic, pay their respects to the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music
- Funeral for Romani vocalist Věra Bílá to be held Saturday in Rokycany, Czech Republic
- Romani vocalists from Czech Republic and Slovakia record pop music video duet
- Romafuturismo Library moves to northern Czech town of Most with new name: The Josef Serinek Library