Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
Damian Le Bas, a leading artist from the Romani community, passed away on Saturday, 9 December 2017 at the age of 54 at home in the small British town of Worthing in West Sussex. The Kai Dikhas Gallery in Berlin, Germany announced the sad news.
Mr Le Bas was best known for his work in collage and drawing, through which he transformed maps. His work investigated questions of borders and the existence of a safe space - a homeland - for Romani people.
He was one of 16 artists exhibiting as part of "Paradise Lost", the first Roma and Sinti Pavilion at the Venice Biennale in 2007. Before exhibiting on that occasion he had been an "unknown florist" studying at the Royal College of Art in London, news server Spiegel.de reports.
Mr Le Bas also exhibited at the 2007 Prague Biennale 3 in Prague, Czech Republic. According to Kai Dikhas, his work was considered an example of art brut or "outsider art", and he was a leading figure among contemporary Romani and Sinti artists in Europe.
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Slovakia: Meet Erik D., Romani street artist
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Timea Junghaus for Romea.cz: Romani artists have the potential to create an innovative Romani identity
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Czech artist's guide to Brno neighborhood nominated for award, Romani activists are not happy
- Review: Czech artist's "guide" to slumming in Brno's Romani neighborhood is a tasteless mockery
- Petr Kotlár: Filming with Václav Marhoul was a colossal experience
- Czech Republic: Survivor of the Nazi massacre at Lidice passes away
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- LIVE BROADCAST: Gala awards ceremony Tajsa 2019 for Roma in the arts and culture
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- International Romani Language Day celebrated with readings in six Czech cities
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Czech Republic: Roma Pride 2019 broadcast live online by ROMEA TV
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role