Italy: 1 000 attend march to mourn Romani children who died in arson attack
Roughly 1 000 people in Rome, Italy attended a march to protest the brutal arson attack at the Primavera shopping center during which three Romani sisters died, two of them minors, last week. People have now planted three olive trees in their memory.
"We don't want to live like this - we don't want to die for being Romani," one of the banners carried in the march read, during which those assembled commemorated the lives of Angelika, Elisabeth and Francesca. Representatives of the community centers who organized the march, housing support organizations, Romani representatives and many local residents joined the event.
"It is impossible not to respond, not to share our solidarity with this family," said Simonetta Ramacciani of the Centocelle Municipal Department, who works in the Department of Social Affairs. "We must aid vulnerable families who have no chance of accessing better housing. We do not want to bolster racism and xenophobia in our society, we do not want to contribute to it, we must solve the question of impoverished families' housing," Khalid Chaouki, a politician from the Democratic Party, told news server Corriere della Sera.
Since 2015 Italy has received EUR 7 billion from the European Funds intended for homeless people's inclusion. "Where is that money when I still see that homeless people are living in caravans, or on the squares and the streets? Is that supposed to be a consequence of their inclusion?" asked Marcello Zuinisi, a representative of the Romani organization Nazione Rom.
The arson attack took place last Wednesday just before 3:30 AM in the parking lot at the shopping center. The sisters were sleeping in the upper compartment of the caravan and did not manage to flee the flames.
Their parents and other siblings managed to escape the vehicle. Near the shopping center there is now a memorial plaque with hundreds of flowers, letters and messages written to the deceased girls.
- Director of ODIHR on arson in Italy that killed Romani children: If this was racism there must be a strong reaction
- Italy: Two Romani children and their older sister die in arson attack
- Impoverished native Italians rebel against Moroccan immigrants inhabiting social housing
- Italy: Racist murders refugee who fled Boko Haram
- Italian Interior Minister insists on "census" of Roma despite criticism
- Italian Interior Minister plans to deport Romani people, opposition calls the plan repugnant
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister says nobody has to live on the street after residential hotels close
- Families with children facing eviction sue Czech city for putting them at risk of homelessness
- Karel Karika: We will rehouse all 70 people from the residential hotel on Klíšská Street
- Czech Republic: Romani secondary school students can apply for scholarships, deadline is 15 July
- Czech PM says migration must be addressed beyond Europe's borders
- Jarmila Balážová now a member of the Barvalipe Academy of the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture
- Italy: New Government demands closure of Romani encampments, redistribution of asylum-seekers by EU
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories launches Czech website, panel on Holocaust research MONDAY
- Czech commemoration of Holocaust at Terezín Memorial will again not feature the Romani flag
Tags:arson attack, Italy, Roma, útok
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.