Italy: Children and Pregnant Romani Women Left Homeless
Unlawful demolitions of Romani property in Italy are rendering members of that community homeless, including newborns and pregnant women. Most recently Romani people were driven from the Germagnano informal settlement in Turin two weeks ago, according to the European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC), based in Budapest.
The ERRC is working with Amnesty International to push for “the European Commission to finally launch legal proceedings against Italy to prevent further forced evictions and segregation.” According to the ERRC, the latest report about Italy by the European Commission does not mention issues concerning Romani people.
In one case, the demolition of Romani houses began when a nine-year old boy was still sleeping in one such dwelling. The ERRC reports that “Witnesses reported that he was saved only when his mother shouted at the bulldozer to stop.”
The incident at Germagnano mirrors a similar forced eviction of the Gianturco settlement that occurred on 7 April 2017. Many Roma throughout Italy fear leaving their communities because they may never be allowed to return to them.
Amnesty International’s public campaign wants Italian authorities to confer with Romani residents in excluded settlements and ghettos in order to create sustainable housing strategies. According to the British newspaper The Independent, Amnesty demands “plans that comply with international and regional human rights standards and are consistent with Italy’s National Strategy for Roma Inclusion."
"The call [for these plans] has already gathered nearly 15 000 appeals that have been sent to the local municipality and the Italian Interior Minister,” Amnesty reported. The ERRC also reported that “Two hundred and fifty forced evictions were carried out against Roma by Italian authorities in 2016 alone.”
Action to improve this situation is meeting with some difficulty, as an estimated 21 900 refugees from Libya arrived in Italy during the first quarter of 2017. In addition to the increasing number of refugees seeking asylum in Italy, The Independent reports that “Italy’s own citizens face hardship amid high unemployment, which currently sits at 11.1 per cent, and the highest public debt in the Eurozone after Greece – about 132 per cent of GDP.”
- Slovakia: Nominations begin for Roma Spirit 2017 under auspices of President Kiska
- Czech town withdraws housing subsidies from certain areas, experts say that's no solution
- Tensions rising between Austria and Italy over migrants
- Czech Regional Development Ministry may address traffickers in poverty with rent map
- Czech Republic: Romani Residents Persevere Through Poor Living Conditions
- Colombia: Romani Residents Embrace Their New and Traditional Identities
- Romania: Romani Actresses Shine a Spotlight on Feminism
- Czech Police say their hands are tied as Romani tenant and her children are unlawfully made homeless by Prague landlord trafficking in poverty
- AMER: Human rights defenders in Turkey should be released immediately!
- Bulgaria: Anti-Roma Protests Continue After Alleged Romani Attacks on Teenagers
- Alana Telesford Explores Educational Inequity within the Czech Republic
- Lehigh University Students Explore the Problem of Social Housing within the Czech Republic
Tags:Roma, Italy, human rights, Homeless people, Housing
Saturday's incident during which a man drove a car into a crowd of people in Charlottesville, Virginia is being investigated by the FBI. Unrest broke out in the town
that was provoked by two assemblies by white extremists there beginning Friday.
videoUnique Czechoslovak film from 1960 about the concentration camp for Roma at Lety screening on Romea.cz13.8.2017 20:05
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.