Jonathan Lee: Antigypsyism is a cancer at the heart of Europe
Jonathan Lee, who is of Traveller origin, works for the European Roma Rights Centre as their Communications Coordinator. Nigel Smith has interviewed him for the "Deep Dive" program on YouTube's network67society channel.
Lee discusses how social media has made anti-racism work much more collaborative today than it ever has before. He also discusses how under-reported everyday rights violations against members of the Roma and Traveller communities are across Europe.
Taken together, the many different groups of Roma and Travellers are Europe’s largest minority, but their geographic distribution has until recently been a hindrance to the development of their transnational identity. Life expectancy for many members of these communities is fully 15 years shorter than that of their fellow Europeans.
Antigypsyism remains a socially acceptable form of prejudice in Europe today. In this interview, Lee discusses the origins of the term, how inherent the concept has been and remains to European culture, and how approaches based on integration alone confuse the causes and effects of Romani and Traveller deprivation.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Wales: Young Traveller Accused of 1976 Murder May Get His Name Cleared
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- European Roma and Travellers Forum condemns offer made by self-appointed "king" to US President
- ERRC Seeks Human Rights Monitors
- European Court of Human Rights: Slovakia failed to investigate Roma youth's allegations of police brutality
- European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
- Czech AI, ERRC criticize authorities' procedures with Romani tenants
- ERRC suing Czech Republic over discrimination of Romani children
- Hundreds in London set to join global day of protest for Gypsies, Roma and Travellers
- Amnesty International: The rights of the European Roma
- ERRC against testing pupils as it could intensify Romani segregation
- ERRC and Amnesty International call on Czech Govt to eliminate violence against Romani people
- European Court for Human Rights condemns Slovakia for forced sterilization of Romani woman
- Police use force to evict Irish Travellers from illegal portion of Dale Farm
- ERRC Highlights Romani Children’s Rights Issues before UN Treaty Bodies
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- ERRC: Romania Continues to Flout European Court of Human Rights
- AI and ERRC call for protection of the Roma in Nový Bydžov from neo-Nazis
- ERRC criticizes Czech Republic for ongoing segregation of Roma pupils
- European Roma rights groups threaten to take France to court
- The European Roma Rights Centre Calls on the EU to Reaffirm Human Rights Standards in Policies on Roma
- European Court of Human Rights Delivers Justice to Romani Victims after Seventeen Years
- Announcement of Publication: Report by the European Roma Rights Centre
- Czech Bishops Conference distances itself from candidates running with extremists
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- The confirmation that Slavia Prague hooligans with violent pasts were among those attacking Roma in the Czech town of Sokolov? Selfies.
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- European Roma Rights Centre: It may take years to legally resolve the death of Stanislav Tomáš, information cannot be released during an ongoing investigation
- Family of the late Stanislav Tomáš files crime report against the Czech Police through their attorney
- Every Child Matters - online guide for Czech educators
- Two brothers of Radek Banga object to his remarks about Roma in Czech media interview and his portrayal of their family in his book
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- LIVE BROADCAST: Elena Gorolová and European Commission Vice-President Jourová open international conference on anti-Roma racism