Jonathan Lee: Antigypsyism is a cancer at the heart of Europe
Jonathan Lee, who is of Traveller origin, works for the European Roma Rights Centre as their Communications Coordinator. Nigel Smith has interviewed him for the "Deep Dive" program on YouTube's network67society channel.
Lee discusses how social media has made anti-racism work much more collaborative today than it ever has before. He also discusses how under-reported everyday rights violations against members of the Roma and Traveller communities are across Europe.
Taken together, the many different groups of Roma and Travellers are Europe’s largest minority, but their geographic distribution has until recently been a hindrance to the development of their transnational identity. Life expectancy for many members of these communities is fully 15 years shorter than that of their fellow Europeans.
Antigypsyism remains a socially acceptable form of prejudice in Europe today. In this interview, Lee discusses the origins of the term, how inherent the concept has been and remains to European culture, and how approaches based on integration alone confuse the causes and effects of Romani and Traveller deprivation.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Wales: Young Traveller Accused of 1976 Murder May Get His Name Cleared
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- European Roma and Travellers Forum condemns offer made by self-appointed "king" to US President
- ERRC Seeks Human Rights Monitors
- European Court of Human Rights: Slovakia failed to investigate Roma youth's allegations of police brutality
- European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
- European Roma and Travellers Forum asks Pope to revise his rhetoric on Roma
- UK: Traveller people have to "prove" their ethnicity under new planning rules
- Dom refugees from Syria tell ERRC "We just want to live"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls summer demolitions of Romani dwellings "unprecedented"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
- European Roma and Travellers Forum launches website for Roma Holocaust commemorations
- ERRC publishes Roma Rights issue honoring the late Nicolae Gheorghe
- Canada accused of racially profiling Roma travellers from Hungary at European airport
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Anti-Gypsyism afoot in Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and elsewhere
- European Roma Institute proponents respond to analysis by the European Roma and Travellers Forum
- Boxer Tyson Fury, proud of his Irish Traveller origin, has challenged Wladimir Klitschko
- European Roma Rights Centre launches blog
- ERRC: No Place in School for Roma Children in France?
- ERRC: France Continues to Evict Roma on a Massive Scale
- ERRC Urges French Authorities to Fully Investigate Lynching of Romani Minor
- ERRC: On the Eve of the EU Roma Summit, Respect for the Human Rights of Roma is an Unfulfilled Promise
- Gypsies, Roma, Travellers: An Animated History
- Amnesty International and ERRC call on Czech Government to protect Romani people
- ERRC Condemns Hitler Hate Speech Against Roma
- French MP Bourdouleix leaves party after criticism for alleged statement about Hitler and Travellers
- French MP allegedly said Hitler didn't kill enough Travellers, he denies it
- Czech AI, ERRC criticize authorities' procedures with Romani tenants
- ERRC suing Czech Republic over discrimination of Romani children
- Hundreds in London set to join global day of protest for Gypsies, Roma and Travellers
- Amnesty International: The rights of the European Roma
- ERRC against testing pupils as it could intensify Romani segregation
- ERRC and Amnesty International call on Czech Govt to eliminate violence against Romani people
- European Court for Human Rights condemns Slovakia for forced sterilization of Romani woman
- Police use force to evict Irish Travellers from illegal portion of Dale Farm
- ERRC Highlights Romani Children’s Rights Issues before UN Treaty Bodies
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- ERRC: Romania Continues to Flout European Court of Human Rights
- AI and ERRC call for protection of the Roma in Nový Bydžov from neo-Nazis
- ERRC criticizes Czech Republic for ongoing segregation of Roma pupils
- European Roma rights groups threaten to take France to court
- The European Roma Rights Centre Calls on the EU to Reaffirm Human Rights Standards in Policies on Roma
- European Court of Human Rights Delivers Justice to Romani Victims after Seventeen Years
- Announcement of Publication: Report by the European Roma Rights Centre
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech educational attainment influenced by social origins, according to experts
- ROMEA's scholarship recipients encouraged to motivate those around them
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech sociologist refutes President's allegations about Romani unemployment, agrees with ROMEA
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- MEP Soraya Post supports Romani photo campaign responding to Czech President's antigypsyist remarks
- Disagree with the Czech President's antigypsyism? ERRC makes it easy to email him
- European Roma Rights Centre: Czech President's remarks were antigypsyist hate speech
- Czech President alleges Romani people "don't want to work" and that "slapping them" is the best way to deal with them
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- OSCE Mission to Serbia responds to Romani NGOs about alleged radicalization, references British Council report
Tags:Analysis, antigypsyism, Civil society, ERRC
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.