Jonathan Lee: Antigypsyism is a cancer at the heart of Europe
Jonathan Lee, who is of Traveller origin, works for the European Roma Rights Centre as their Communications Coordinator. Nigel Smith has interviewed him for the "Deep Dive" program on YouTube's network67society channel.
Lee discusses how social media has made anti-racism work much more collaborative today than it ever has before. He also discusses how under-reported everyday rights violations against members of the Roma and Traveller communities are across Europe.
Taken together, the many different groups of Roma and Travellers are Europe’s largest minority, but their geographic distribution has until recently been a hindrance to the development of their transnational identity. Life expectancy for many members of these communities is fully 15 years shorter than that of their fellow Europeans.
Antigypsyism remains a socially acceptable form of prejudice in Europe today. In this interview, Lee discusses the origins of the term, how inherent the concept has been and remains to European culture, and how approaches based on integration alone confuse the causes and effects of Romani and Traveller deprivation.
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Roma Rights at a Crossroads
- Wales: Young Traveller Accused of 1976 Murder May Get His Name Cleared
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- European Roma and Travellers Forum condemns offer made by self-appointed "king" to US President
- ERRC Seeks Human Rights Monitors
- European Court of Human Rights: Slovakia failed to investigate Roma youth's allegations of police brutality
- European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
- European Roma and Travellers Forum asks Pope to revise his rhetoric on Roma
- UK: Traveller people have to "prove" their ethnicity under new planning rules
- Dom refugees from Syria tell ERRC "We just want to live"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls summer demolitions of Romani dwellings "unprecedented"
- European Roma and Travellers Forum calls for moment of silence, noon, 2 August, International Remembrance Day of the Pharrajimos
- European Roma and Travellers Forum launches website for Roma Holocaust commemorations
- ERRC publishes Roma Rights issue honoring the late Nicolae Gheorghe
- Canada accused of racially profiling Roma travellers from Hungary at European airport
- European Roma and Travellers Forum: Anti-Gypsyism afoot in Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and elsewhere
- European Roma Institute proponents respond to analysis by the European Roma and Travellers Forum
- Boxer Tyson Fury, proud of his Irish Traveller origin, has challenged Wladimir Klitschko
- European Roma Rights Centre launches blog
- ERRC: No Place in School for Roma Children in France?
- ERRC: France Continues to Evict Roma on a Massive Scale
- ERRC Urges French Authorities to Fully Investigate Lynching of Romani Minor
- ERRC: On the Eve of the EU Roma Summit, Respect for the Human Rights of Roma is an Unfulfilled Promise
- Gypsies, Roma, Travellers: An Animated History
- Amnesty International and ERRC call on Czech Government to protect Romani people
- ERRC Condemns Hitler Hate Speech Against Roma
- French MP Bourdouleix leaves party after criticism for alleged statement about Hitler and Travellers
- French MP allegedly said Hitler didn't kill enough Travellers, he denies it
- The ERRC submits its reports to the UN
- The European Court of Human Rights decided: the placement of Roma children in schools for mentally disabled is discriminatory
- Czech AI, ERRC criticize authorities' procedures with Romani tenants
- ERRC suing Czech Republic over discrimination of Romani children
- Hundreds in London set to join global day of protest for Gypsies, Roma and Travellers
- Amnesty International: The rights of the European Roma
- ERRC against testing pupils as it could intensify Romani segregation
- ERRC and Amnesty International call on Czech Govt to eliminate violence against Romani people
- European Court for Human Rights condemns Slovakia for forced sterilization of Romani woman
- Police use force to evict Irish Travellers from illegal portion of Dale Farm
- ERRC Highlights Romani Children’s Rights Issues before UN Treaty Bodies
- Football gives Travellers a sporting chance
- ERRC: Romania Continues to Flout European Court of Human Rights
- AI and ERRC call for protection of the Roma in Nový Bydžov from neo-Nazis
- ERRC criticizes Czech Republic for ongoing segregation of Roma pupils
- European Roma rights groups threaten to take France to court
- The European Roma Rights Centre Calls on the EU to Reaffirm Human Rights Standards in Policies on Roma
- European Court of Human Rights Delivers Justice to Romani Victims after Seventeen Years
- Announcement of Publication: Report by the European Roma Rights Centre
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- Belgium: Roma Travellers evicted from caravan site in Anderlecht neighborhood of Brussels
- Belgium: Roma Travellers to be evicted in EU capital, fire reported at their halting site
- Albania: Romani people left without citizenship anywhere
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- RESPEKT: Czech EdMin considering amendments that could undo inclusive education
- Czech Civic Democrats may exclude member who called Meghan Markle a "gypsy"
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Michal Miko to the Czech Regional Development Minister: Live in a container yourself and then we'll see what you think of it
Tags:Analysis, antigypsyism, Civil society, ERRC
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.