"Journey to the Past" will mark Roma Genocide Remembrance Day at Auschwitz this August
From 1-3 August the site of the former concentration camp of Auschwitz in Poland will be visited in order to honor the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust. The "Journey to the Past" initiative ("Cesta k minulosti") arose from the need to commemorate the horrors of the Nazi ideology and the Second World War.
The organizer of the trip is Emilie Verona Horáčková and those interested in attending it can contact her by e-mail, Facebook or telephone. "By making this journey, I would like to support the importance of knowing our own history, which is a component of world history, and the reinforcement of Romani identity. We should never forget what was done to us. The aim of this project is to familiarize those members of the generations that did not personally experience the Second World War with the historical facts, and also to train them in how to take responsibility for preserving this history," she told news server Romea.cz.
The traditional commemoration of the Romani victims of the Holocaust takes place at the site of the former Nazi extermination camp at Auschwitz where, on the night of 2 August and in the early morning hours of 3 August 1944, the Nazis murdered as many as 2 898 Roma and Sinti in the gas chambers. Other Romani people were murdered in other concentration camps, primarily at Bełżec, Chełmno, Majdanka, Sobibór and Treblinka.
Others, the numbers of whom are difficult to estimate, were shot dead and then buried in mass graves in the forests. Romani people all over the world commemorate 2 August as Roma Genocide Remembrance Day.
"On Remembrance Day we will attend the commemorative ceremony and again we will bring our wreaths, our cloth flowers in red and white, and our Romani flags inscribed with 'We Will Never Forget'," Horáčková said. "My efforts are to raise the financing needed to implement and realize our visit to Auschwitz. This project is being undertaken without any grant support, just with contributions from individual donors and from those who will attend the ceremony. I would like to appeal to all those interested in attending the commemorative ceremony at Auschwitz and to any potential donors to contact me by e-mail, on Facebook or by telephone," the organizer said.
To reserve a non-refundable place on the chartered bus for this trip, please contact Ms Horáčková by 15 June 2017. For more information, please write to her at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the mobile telephone number +420 605 018 419.
- Czech Republic: Roma commemorate 73rd anniversary of prisoner transport from Hodonín u Kunštátu to Auschwitz
- Romany Holocaust victims remembered at Auschwitz
- Czech Roma to mark International Roma Holocaust Remembrance Day at Auschwitz memorial
- Statement of the Alliance for the European Roma Institute on the 72nd Anniversary of the Romani Uprising in Auschwitz-Birkenau
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture also chartering bus for those interested in Romani Holocaust commemoration at Lety
- Czech Cardinal on International Romani Day: We are all members of the same Christian family
- DEADLINE TOMORROW: KHAMORO World Roma Festival to train Romani youth in festival production
- Czech Senate appearance by Romani celebrity to commemorate Holocaust backed by war veteran
- Civil March for Aleppo crosses into the Czech Republic
- How you can aid the people trapped in Aleppo, Syria
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture to commemorate ROMFEST 1990 and award its own 2016 prize
- Czech celebration of Veterans' Day featured honor guard in SS uniform and speech calling for opponents of President to hang themselves
- Czech private foundation will raise money to honor Romani victims of the Holocaust - including from Roma
- Czech Govt Roma Council reviews Romani Holocaust sites, victim database, and compensation for involuntary sterilizations
- Czech Republic: Romani activist calls on Mayor of Žatec to resign
Tags:action, Památný den romského holocaustu, pietní akt, pietní místo
videoSlovakia: Romani politician says if video of police brutality did not exist, authorities would probably have never investigated28.5.2017 13:19
the scene and today it is anticipated that his criminal prosecution will begin and that a motion will be filed to remand him into custody on suspicion of murder.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.