Lauding Angelina Jolie’s visit to Roma in Bosnia, Hindus urge her to voice Roma apartheid in Europe
Hindus have applauded reported visit of Hollywood stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt to Roma population in Bosnia on Monday.
Acclaimed Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, commending her visit to Roma people, urged Jolie to undertake the cause of apartheid of 15-million Roma people of Europe.
Zed, who is president of Universal Society of Hinduism, said that Jolie, world’s most powerful celebrity, would be very effective in focusing public opinion world over on Roma apartheid. Many Hollywood and other entertainment bigwigs had successfully worked against South Africa’s apartheid in the past.
Rajan Zed argued that Jolie had promoted humanitarian causes world over and Roma would be the next worthwhile cause for her to undertake. If she wanted his services in regard to Roma cause, he was willing to support her.
Alarming condition of Roma people was a social blight for Europe and the rest of the world as they reportedly regularly faced social exclusion, racism, substandard education, hostility, joblessness, rampant illness, inadequate housing, lower life expectancy, unrest, living on desperate margins, language barriers, stereotypes, mistrust, rights violations, discrimination, marginalization, appalling living conditions, prejudice, human rights abuse, racist slogans on Internet, etc., Zed pointed out.
It was like an undeclared apartheid and it was almost total societal exclusion of Roma. The maltreatment of Roma was outside even the European Union norms. Roma issue should be one of the highest priorities of human rights agenda of Europe and world, Rajan Zed stressed and added that he was hopeful that Jolie would not stay apathetic and silent spectator when fellow Roma brothers/sisters were reportedly facing blatant injustice and discrimination in Europe.
Ultra famous-talented-rich-beautiful 34-year old Oscar winner Angelina Jolie (Changeling) is a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency and is known for her refugee projects, conservation work and philanthropy. She has received Citizen of the World Award, Global Humanitarian Award, Freedom Award, etc.
Jolie is currently filming The Tourist (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck) in Venice (Italy) with Oscar nominated Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland).
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army