VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
As part of Roma Week, which has been running at the European Parliament since yesterday, a conference about antigypsyism is happening today and will continue tomorrow. During the program many interesting Romani figures and others focused on this issue will speak - click here for the livestream.
The event is being attended by representatives of the United Nations, the European Union, the Council of Europe, and representatives of Governments and Parliaments in the EU-28. The conference is organized by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR), the Office of MEP Soraya Post, the Central Council of German Roma and Sinti, the European Roma Grassroots Organization network (ERGO), the Fundacion Secretariado Gitano (FSG), and the Open Society European Policy Institute.
In addition to MEP Post, who is of Romani origin, the conference will be addressed by Romani Rose, the president of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma and EU Commissioner Věra Jourová. Elena Gorolová, the spokesperson for the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic, also addressed the conference as part of the panel on testimonies by Romani victims of human rights abuses.
VIDEO - Day 1
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Czech student resigns from academic senate after his racist past is revealed
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Zdeněk Ryšavý: Online hate - what can we do? Welcoming remarks at the 2019 Annual Conference of the International Network against Cyber Hate (INACH)
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- Academic Huub van Baar has found Romani people succeed on the labor market when given a chance
- Spanish MP of Romani origin calls on OSCE to focus on greater participation of Roma in politics
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Scholars gather in Czech capital to discuss migrations and mobilities of Romani people