VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
As part of Roma Week, which has been running at the European Parliament since yesterday, a conference about antigypsyism is happening today and will continue tomorrow. During the program many interesting Romani figures and others focused on this issue will speak - click here for the livestream.
The event is being attended by representatives of the United Nations, the European Union, the Council of Europe, and representatives of Governments and Parliaments in the EU-28. The conference is organized by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR), the Office of MEP Soraya Post, the Central Council of German Roma and Sinti, the European Roma Grassroots Organization network (ERGO), the Fundacion Secretariado Gitano (FSG), and the Open Society European Policy Institute.
In addition to MEP Post, who is of Romani origin, the conference will be addressed by Romani Rose, the president of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma and EU Commissioner Věra Jourová. Elena Gorolová, the spokesperson for the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic, also addressed the conference as part of the panel on testimonies by Romani victims of human rights abuses.
VIDEO - Day 1
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Czech Police say most hate crimes last year were against Roma, number of antisemitic attacks declined
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council seek meeting with Czech Interior Minister and PM over recent interethnic violence
- Bulgarian media showed edited footage of interethnic altercation in shop - full footage shows a different story
- William Bila: Can we put an end to the dehumanization of Roma in France?
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- LIVE BROADCAST WEDNESDAY 27 MARCH: Last sessions of the Council of Europe's 7th International Roma Women's Conference
- LIVE BROADCAST TUESDAY 26 MARCH: Council of Europe holds the 7th International Roma Women's Conference