VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
As part of Roma Week, which has been running at the European Parliament since yesterday, a conference about antigypsyism is happening today and will continue tomorrow. During the program many interesting Romani figures and others focused on this issue will speak - click here for the livestream.
The event is being attended by representatives of the United Nations, the European Union, the Council of Europe, and representatives of Governments and Parliaments in the EU-28. The conference is organized by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR), the Office of MEP Soraya Post, the Central Council of German Roma and Sinti, the European Roma Grassroots Organization network (ERGO), the Fundacion Secretariado Gitano (FSG), and the Open Society European Policy Institute.
In addition to MEP Post, who is of Romani origin, the conference will be addressed by Romani Rose, the president of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma and EU Commissioner Věra Jourová. Elena Gorolová, the spokesperson for the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic, also addressed the conference as part of the panel on testimonies by Romani victims of human rights abuses.
VIDEO - Day 1
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- Czech Communist Party chair alleges pork is expensive because the farm on the former concentration camp for Roma was closed, but statistics show he is lying
- Czech state may finally compensate forced sterilization victims
- Elena Gorolová: Some of the forced sterilization victims have died, but we are still fighting for compensation
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives