VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
As part of Roma Week, which has been running at the European Parliament since yesterday, a conference about antigypsyism is happening today and will continue tomorrow. During the program many interesting Romani figures and others focused on this issue will speak - click here for the livestream.
The event is being attended by representatives of the United Nations, the European Union, the Council of Europe, and representatives of Governments and Parliaments in the EU-28. The conference is organized by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR), the Office of MEP Soraya Post, the Central Council of German Roma and Sinti, the European Roma Grassroots Organization network (ERGO), the Fundacion Secretariado Gitano (FSG), and the Open Society European Policy Institute.
In addition to MEP Post, who is of Romani origin, the conference will be addressed by Romani Rose, the president of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma and EU Commissioner Věra Jourová. Elena Gorolová, the spokesperson for the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic, also addressed the conference as part of the panel on testimonies by Romani victims of human rights abuses.
VIDEO - Day 1
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- Forced sterilizations in Europe and the USA and their consequences for today
- MEPs condemn rise of antisemitism in Europe, Czech MEP defends Hungary, blames migration
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Czech student resigns from academic senate after his racist past is revealed
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design