VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
As part of Roma Week, which has been running at the European Parliament since yesterday, a conference about antigypsyism is happening today and will continue tomorrow. During the program many interesting Romani figures and others focused on this issue will speak - click here for the livestream.
The event is being attended by representatives of the United Nations, the European Union, the Council of Europe, and representatives of Governments and Parliaments in the EU-28. The conference is organized by the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights (OHCHR), the Office of MEP Soraya Post, the Central Council of German Roma and Sinti, the European Roma Grassroots Organization network (ERGO), the Fundacion Secretariado Gitano (FSG), and the Open Society European Policy Institute.
In addition to MEP Post, who is of Romani origin, the conference will be addressed by Romani Rose, the president of the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma and EU Commissioner Věra Jourová. Elena Gorolová, the spokesperson for the Group of Women Harmed by Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic, also addressed the conference as part of the panel on testimonies by Romani victims of human rights abuses.
VIDEO - Day 1
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Is Czech compensation for forced sterilizations in sight?
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Czech Finance Minister supports bill to compensate illegally sterilized women
- Czech Senate candidates use rhetoric about "inadaptables" and xenophobic tropes in second round battle
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Bulgaria: Scandal over EU-financed training to detect alleged "radicalization" of Roma, activists say money was used to boost anti-Romani sentiment
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights calls on Czech lower house to adopt law to compensate illegally sterilized people, first reading scheduled for today