VIDEO: 1.000 young Europeans remember the 70th anniversary of the Roma Genocide
This coming August 2 marks the 70th anniversary of the Roma Genocide. On this date in 1944, 2,897 elderly men and women, as well as children were murdered in the gas chambers of the Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau. TernYpe – International Roma Youth Network and its partners organize an international conference and youth event gathering 1.000 people from 25 countries to both honour the past and to ensure a future where the rights and dignity of Roma communities are respected.
The Roma Genocide Remembrance Initiative is expected to be the biggest commemoration event to date. Karolina Mirga, Secretary General of ternYpe is hopeful that by bringing together young activists, civil society organizations and decision-makers, the current challenges of racism, hate speech and extremism in Europe can be brought to the attention of society as a whole: “70 years have passed since the tragic events of August 2, yet until this day Roma continue to face daily acts of violence, persecution and dehumanization. By refusing to recognize and condemn the past, we are allowing a similar rhetoric to occur in the present day. It is for that reason that ternYpe is committed to advocate for the wider official recognition of the Roma Genocide. We stand up for Roma dignity.”
The event takes places under the auspices of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Mr Thorbjørn Jagland and the Honorary Patronage of the President of the European Parliament, Mr. Martin Schulz. Moreover, patronage was granted by the Ministry of Administration and Digitalization of the Republic of Poland, the Polish Institute of National Remembrance, the Malopolska Wojewod, as well the Mayor of the City of Krakow.
On August 2, 2014 a commemorationceremony will take place at the Auschwitz Museum. A program of inspirational addresses, poetry readings, and remembrances acts will bring together survivors of a tragic past, with the future generation of young Roma leaders- paving the way for a bright future. Together they will remember the often forgotten and ignored atrocities of the Roma Genocide.
In an intensive 4 day program, participants will take part in workshops, debates, public conferences and action-oriented educational activities where they will deepen their knowledge of the Roma Genocide, and acquire the tools to become actors of change, challenging racism, hate speech and extremism in Europe.
Keynote addresses will be made by various experts during a public conference devoted to the study of the Roma experience during the Holocaust: Rita Izsák, UN Special Rapporteur on minority issues; Lina Papamichalopoulou, Head of Unit Non-discrimination policies and Roma coordination, European Commission, DG Justice; Romani Rose, director of Central Council of German Sinti and Roma; Karen Pollak – International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA);Prof. Ethel Brooks, Rutgers University; Andrzej Mirga, independent expert on Roma.
Dikh he na bister. Remember the #RomaGenocide. End #RomaDiscrimination. Join #2August.
1. 8. 2014
31. 7. 2014
TAKE ACTION NOW!
1. Please join our Thunderclap action to remember the #RomaGenocide!
Help us to spread the word about the #RomaGenocide. And help others to
remember what happened on 2 August 1944 in Auschwitz-Birkenau. We need to reach
500 supporters in order for Thunderclap to send out the “Twitterstorm” on August
2nd at 20:00. If we unite all together, we can make this happen. The deadline to
sign up in Thunderclap is: 02 August 2014, before 20:00. You can sign up through
Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. You can also invite your friends to do the same!
Click HERE or in the photo below and support our Thunderclap campaign:
2. Tweet for better world!
Send out a customised tweet using the #RomaGenocide and #2August hashtag. Create your own, or use one of the pre-made tweets below.
Remember that the Roma continue to be the most discriminated minority group
Tweet to fight #RomaDiscrimination and remember the #RomaGenocide.
Tweet for a better world!
You can find the pre-made tweets HERE.
3. Other actions
Join the online commemoration and change your Facebook cover picture
to this action day photo on 2 August. Or you can also
add this Pickabadge to your
Join commemorations in your community. Here you have more information,
Check out also what actions No Hate Speech Movement is organizing and join them here.
- John Kerry: Statement in Commemoration of the World War II Genocide of Roma
- Council of Europe: Handbook Launched on Remembrance Day of the Roma Holocaust
- Ahead of 70th anniversary of “Gypsy camp” liquidation at Auschwitz-Birkenau, ODIHR Director urges leaders to speak out against anti-Roma rhetoric
- Czech Govt Council on Roma Affairs insists Museum of Romani Culture manage Romani Holocaust memorial at Hodonín
- Austria: Hitler impersonator arrested for appearing in the Nazi leader's home town
- Croatia: Jewish community boycotts official Holocaust commemoration
- Czech Senate appearance by Romani celebrity to commemorate Holocaust backed by war veteran
- Alternative for Germany pol faces party discipline after Holocaust remarks
- Czech performance of "Gypsy Boxer" in Brno postponed due to illness
- Romani celebrity addresses Czech Senate on International Day of Holocaust Remembrance
- Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust Memorial at Hodonín to open this summer
- Germany: Researchers find there were more victims of the Holocaust than previously believed
- How you can aid the people trapped in Aleppo, Syria
- Czech private foundation will raise money to honor Romani victims of the Holocaust - including from Roma
- Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust survivors' association chair says he has no reason to doubt pig farm will go
Tags:Holocaust, genocide, Válka
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.