Lívia Járóka becomes first ever Romani Vice-President of the European Parliament
Lívia Járóka (Fidesz, EPP) of Hungary has been elected Vice-President of the European Parliament (EP) and has become the historically first MEP of Romani origin to achieve such an important post. "If I have the honor of being elected, my mission and role as the first Vice President of Romani origin will be not just to aid the 10 million-strong Romani community who have been victims of discrimination and segregation for many years, but also the 120 million people living in economic and social exclusion," news server INFO.cz quoted her as saying in a letter to her colleagues.
Járóka's appointment was supported by Czech MEP Tomáš Zdechovský (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL). “Lívia has been an MEP since 2004, and during all that time she has not just fought for the rights of Romani people quite actively, but she has first and foremost proven that with systematic work, excellent results can actually be achieved irrespective of one's origin," the Czech MEP, who has stood up for Romani people on the floor of the EP several times, said of her nomination.
Zdechovský got to know the Romani community in the Czech Republic during his four years as a streetworker and knows how attractive such examples are. Járóka will replace Ildikó Gall-Pelczas, who has been appointed to a prestigioius position at the European Court of Audiors in Luxembourg.
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech MEP responds to antigypsyism at the European Parliament: Roma are underrepresented and positive examples should be highlighted
- VIDEO: Discussion of International Romani Day at the European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
- Proud to be Roma: Roma MEP Lívia Járóka on the need for a European strategy
- Press Release of MEP Lívia Járóka: For the protection of the Kosovar Roma refugees
- EP: Livia Jaroka, Romani women are the most vulnerable women
- Roma community member Lívia Járóka defends her EP seat
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin joins the European People's Party
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Hungary: Radicals protest "Romani crime", Romani people and their allies stand up to them
- Manipulation ahead of the EP vote: The tail wagging the dog
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia