Macedonia: BUVERO Camp for young Romani women underway
The National Roma Centrum of Macedonia is running a BUVERO camp at Etno Selo in Kumanovo. Together with mentors from Hungary's Romedia Foundation, they have been instructing Romani women aged 18-25 in "citizen journalism".
The camp runs from 13-26 July and will train the women in professional filmmaking, journalism, and the study of the Romani identity. Another BUVERO camp is also being held in Hungary for the third year in a row.
The word "buvero" means "shell" in Romanes, symbolising "good communication, positive relationships, and the power of womanhood", according to organizers. The camp has been open to any members of the press interested in interacting with organizers and participants.
Freedom House, a US-based organization that monitors press freedom, among other issues, gave Macedonia a 57 for its freedom of the press on a scale from 0 to 100 last year, where 0 is the most free and 100 is the least free (countries among the "worst of the worst" include Azerbaijan, Iran and Turkmenistan). Hungary was ranked 37 this year; countries with the freest media include the Czech Republic (ranked 21), but only 14 % of the world's population live in countries with a free press.
- Macedonia: Local council votes to dislocate Roma from settlement
- 20th ISC Meeting: Macedonia Presents Its Presidency Plan
- Poverty depopulating Roma settlement in Macedonia
- Macedonia: The sound of Shutka
- Public hearing for the condition of the Roma in Macedonia
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences
- Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19