Macedonia: Local council votes to dislocate Roma from settlement
The website utrinski.mk reported on 12 June that the Kavadarci local council has voted to provide container housing to the inhabitants of a Romani settlement who have permanent residency in the town while requiring the rest to "return to their place of origin". The settlement, called the "Teneke maalo", is said to have been inhabited illegally.
The local council reportedly allocated funding for the purchase of container housing for eight families. The council also "ordered urban and communal inspectors to act within their duties and responsibilities for dislocation of the ‘wild’ settlement", according to utrinski.mk.
Mayor Aleksandar Panov is said to have appealed to the Romani inhabitants of the settlement to clear out on their own within 30 days. The town reportedly plans to use the space for an access road to a new kindergarten.
The EU has previously funded the NGO Habitat for Humanity to promote Romani people's access to adequate housing in Macedonia. The European Roma Rights Centre, an advocacy group, sent an open letter last fall to the Macedonian authorities expressing concern about efforts by the Government to prevent Macedonian citizens, including Roma, from leaving the country.
- 20th ISC Meeting: Macedonia Presents Its Presidency Plan
- Poverty depopulating Roma settlement in Macedonia
- Macedonia: The sound of Shutka
- Public hearing for the condition of the Roma in Macedonia
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs differ on whether Human Rights Commissioner should remain in office
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner to stay in office, most civil society members of Human Rights Council support her
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner refuses to resign despite some Human Rights Council members calling for her to do so
- Czech Social Democratic Party has new candidate for President to nominate as ombudswoman after his first choice declines due to pressure over her past
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion praises town for using EU funds to create social housing
- Michal Miko: Czech ministries are boycotting experts' attempts to introduce social housing
- Czech mayor who failed to tackle "white flight" publicly curses nonprofits and Romani people, Agency for Social Inclusion calls for dialogue
- Roma civil society members on Czech Govt Roma Council tell Labor Minister her anti-poverty measures will instead produce poverty
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- Russia designates Czech aid group People in Need an "undesirable organization"
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Czech city declares its entire territory a ghetto for harsh housing benefit restrictions - which don't deliver