Macedonia: Local council votes to dislocate Roma from settlement
The website utrinski.mk reported on 12 June that the Kavadarci local council has voted to provide container housing to the inhabitants of a Romani settlement who have permanent residency in the town while requiring the rest to "return to their place of origin". The settlement, called the "Teneke maalo", is said to have been inhabited illegally.
The local council reportedly allocated funding for the purchase of container housing for eight families. The council also "ordered urban and communal inspectors to act within their duties and responsibilities for dislocation of the ‘wild’ settlement", according to utrinski.mk.
Mayor Aleksandar Panov is said to have appealed to the Romani inhabitants of the settlement to clear out on their own within 30 days. The town reportedly plans to use the space for an access road to a new kindergarten.
The EU has previously funded the NGO Habitat for Humanity to promote Romani people's access to adequate housing in Macedonia. The European Roma Rights Centre, an advocacy group, sent an open letter last fall to the Macedonian authorities expressing concern about efforts by the Government to prevent Macedonian citizens, including Roma, from leaving the country.
- 20th ISC Meeting: Macedonia Presents Its Presidency Plan
- Poverty depopulating Roma settlement in Macedonia
- Macedonia: The sound of Shutka
- Public hearing for the condition of the Roma in Macedonia
- Roma civil society members on Czech Govt Roma Council tell Labor Minister her anti-poverty measures will instead produce poverty
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- Russia designates Czech aid group People in Need an "undesirable organization"
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Czech city declares its entire territory a ghetto for harsh housing benefit restrictions - which don't deliver
- Czech city synonymous with ethnic segregation sets up "Committee to Map and Eliminate Negative Social Phenomena"
- Czech mayor heading new commission to design changes to housing benefits
- Czech court annuls board of directors of Ústecký Region's biggest housing cooperative
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around - continued
- Czech institute says city's hope of state investment into "container" housing may be in vain
- Prague City Council disagrees with Czech bill to consolidate two housing benefits into one