Macedonian Police discriminated against Roma at border crossing, family to be compensated
The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) has been reporting on a case in which police in Macedonia refused to let a Romani couple travel out of the country two years ago. Now the Macedonian Interior Ministry must pay compensation of approximately EUR 500 to each person harmed, according to a court verdict that has taken effect.
The ministry will probably appeal. Two years ago Mr and Mrs Muhedin wanted to visit their family in Switzerland and were traveling to visit their grandchildren. At the border crossing they were the only passengers on the bus to be called upon by police to present other documents in addition to their passports.
All of the couple's documents were in order, including their return bus tickets, EUR 200 in cash, and their invitation letter. Despite this, the police officers forbade them to cross the border.
The ERRC says this is not an isolated case and the Macedonian Government is concerned that Romani people who leave the country do so to seek asylum abroad. “Most of us in Europe thought stopping people leaving their own country ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall,” said Adam Weiss, the Legal Director of the ERRC.
“Not for Roma, though, for whom this is perhaps the most visible way of making them second-class citizens. We will continue litigating these cases, to stop this from happening anymore and to show Roma that the justice system works for them,” Weiss said.
- Macedonia announces state of emergency over refugees
- Macedonia: BUVERO Camp for young Romani women underway
- Macedonia: Local council votes to dislocate Roma from settlement
- 20th ISC Meeting: Macedonia Presents Its Presidency Plan
- Poverty depopulating Roma settlement in Macedonia
- Macedonia: The sound of Shutka
- Public hearing for the condition of the Roma in Macedonia
- Czech court conditionally suspends prosecution of man who threatened to kill Romani celebrity
- Slovakia: "Invisible Roma" protest insult by the speaker of Parliament
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Renata Berkyová: Czech sitcom is rocking the Czech-Romani world
- Romani community opinion divided over new Czech Television sitcom with Romani characters
- Museum of Romani Culture responds to Czech MP's critique of the new memorial to the Romani genocide at Lety
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
- Slovak Interior Ministry plans Operational Centers against "inadaptable Roma", community members protest
- Italian Senator who compared his colleague to an "orangutan" has been convicted
- US company shuts down neo-Nazi website "White Media" at the request of the Czech authorities
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Czech terrorist gets four years, judge says he was influenced by the public dissemination of extremism