Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
Margareta Matache, a Roma rights activist and scholar who directs the Roma Program at the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights, and Cornel West, an American author and civil rights activist who is currently Professor of the Practice of Public Philosophy at Harvard, have co-authored an analysis for The Guardian newspaper in the UK on the commonalities between the struggles of African Americans and Romani people for equality. The piece notes that the history of African Americans and Romani people bear similarities with respect to the way "white policymakers" have employed similar tactics against members of both groups in order to maintain "white normativity, social power, and privilege".
Matache and West write that while the legacy of the transatlantic slave trade has gradually become more or less understood in the USA in terms of its appalling human cost, the country of Romania has yet to fully acknowledge the legacy of the enslavement of the Roma by the Orthodox Church and state institutions on its territory into the 19th century. Material on this history has only recently been mandated for study in high schools there, according to representatives of the Impreuna NGO who have spoken with news server Romea.cz.
The authors note that even though structural discrimination such as that experienced by both African Americans and Roma is faced by marginalized groups worldwide, "global solidarity among the oppressed fails to materialize". They describe compliance to "white normativity" as the norm in societies where the marginalized live in fear.
Matache is also a co-author of a 2015 policy brief on discrimination against Romani children in the education systems of Europe, "Segregation of Roma Children in Education – Successes and Challenges". The most recent edition of the Harvard Journal of Health and Human Rights is a special issue on Roma.
- Ladislava Gažiová: Romafuturism means change, the opportunity to reject a distorted history of the Roma
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Roma instructor at Harvard calls for an end to injustice
- FXB Center, Harvard University: Violence and Attacks Against Roma Should Sound Alarms in the International Community
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- Michal Miko to the Czech Regional Development Minister: Live in a container yourself and then we'll see what you think of it
- BBC Three Documentary Exposes Human Rights Abuses In Hungary’s State-Care Homes
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Czech Justice Minister leaving politics because most of his fellow ANO members hold different opinions about human rights
- Traffickers in poverty in the Czech Republic have a new trick for not losing their profitable business model
- US Ambassador hangs the Romani flag at the US Embassy in Prague
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Analysis: Czech housing benefits keep people's heads above water
- Italian police forcibly evict yet another Roma camp
Tags:Commentary, Education, freedom, History, human rights, minorities, opinions, Politics, Pope Francis, Racism, Roma, segregation, slavery, Romania, USA
Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety22.4.2018 10:31
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.