Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
More than 80 legislators, some with the European Parliament and many at national level in 20 different EU Member States, have urged the head of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, to begin addressing the situation of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety by Písek, where an industrial pig farm stands today. The legislators say the genocide of Romani people was perpetrated at that site and the EU must commit to making sure it is in a dignified state.
The legislators' open letter has been published by the Belgian newspaper Le Soir. "Hundreds of Roma were reduced to a state of forced labor, died in the camp, or were deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Since 1973, an industrial pig farm has been operating on the site of the camp. This means putrid odors, an ignorance regarding the history of the site... In a few words: a stain on the dignity of the dead and the living," the letter states.
"Recently, the [Czech] Deputy-Prime Minister and Finance Minister has even publicly denied the nature of the concentration camp, before being forced to apologize..." the legislators write. "Therefore, we ask you, Mr. President, to not cast the responsibility onto others but to fully engage the European Commission... Along with the European civil society, we want to work with you towards this end. It is a question of dignity. For the dead, for the survivors, for their descendants, for the Roma, for all. For Europe."
The letter is also signed by Benjamin Abtan, the chair of the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM). A total of 19 MEPs and 61 national parliamentarians from 20 EU Member States signed as well, none from the Czech Republic itself.
- European Commission agrees with social media companies on a common approach against online hate
- European Commission launches infringement proceedings against Hungary over discrimination of Romani children
- European Commission President: Schengen is in a coma and must be resurrected or a united Europe is meaningless
- European Commission President Juncker: EU countries must not reject refugees because of Paris attacks
- European Parliament supports Commission's proposal for refugee redistribution
- European Commission wants concrete statistics on the integration of disadvantaged children into Czech schools
- European Commission reports on Roma integration: More work needed
- European Commission recommends the Czech Republic include Romani children in the education system
- European Commission will respond to Czech Gov't plans for Romani schoolchildren within the week
- Slovakia must explain discrimination of Roma in the schools to the European Commission
- European Commission to decide whether proceedings against Czech Republic over Roma discrimination will continue
- European Commission not satisfied with Czech response to discrimination of Romani children
- Czech Senate likely to reject European Commission's urging on Romani measures
- European Commission critiques fact that non-Czech EU citizens cannot establish parties in the Czech Republic
- ERTF: European Commission's previous efforts on Roma had little or no results
- EU Commissioner "ashamed" of debate at European Parliament on Roma
- European Commission refutes rumor that leftover Roma support funds will go to Germany
- European Commission calls for removal of anti-Roma wall in this year's European Capital of Culture
- Valeriu Nicolae: Blacklisted – the new low of the European Commission
- Czech Government releases funds to demolish pig farm on Romani genocide site, archaeological survey will happen
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Martina Horváthová on building a network of Romani feminists in the Czech Republic
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
Tags:European Commission, koncentrační tábor, Lety u Písku, Romani people
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.