Members of the European Parliament urge European Commission to move EU-subsidized pig farm from Lety site
More than 80 legislators, some with the European Parliament and many at national level in 20 different EU Member States, have urged the head of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, to begin addressing the situation of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety by Písek, where an industrial pig farm stands today. The legislators say the genocide of Romani people was perpetrated at that site and the EU must commit to making sure it is in a dignified state.
The legislators' open letter has been published by the Belgian newspaper Le Soir. "Hundreds of Roma were reduced to a state of forced labor, died in the camp, or were deported to Auschwitz-Birkenau. Since 1973, an industrial pig farm has been operating on the site of the camp. This means putrid odors, an ignorance regarding the history of the site... In a few words: a stain on the dignity of the dead and the living," the letter states.
"Recently, the [Czech] Deputy-Prime Minister and Finance Minister has even publicly denied the nature of the concentration camp, before being forced to apologize..." the legislators write. "Therefore, we ask you, Mr. President, to not cast the responsibility onto others but to fully engage the European Commission... Along with the European civil society, we want to work with you towards this end. It is a question of dignity. For the dead, for the survivors, for their descendants, for the Roma, for all. For Europe."
The letter is also signed by Benjamin Abtan, the chair of the European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM). A total of 19 MEPs and 61 national parliamentarians from 20 EU Member States signed as well, none from the Czech Republic itself.
- European Commission agrees with social media companies on a common approach against online hate
- European Commission launches infringement proceedings against Hungary over discrimination of Romani children
- European Commission President: Schengen is in a coma and must be resurrected or a united Europe is meaningless
- European Commission President Juncker: EU countries must not reject refugees because of Paris attacks
- European Parliament supports Commission's proposal for refugee redistribution
- European Commission wants concrete statistics on the integration of disadvantaged children into Czech schools
- European Commission reports on Roma integration: More work needed
- European Commission recommends the Czech Republic include Romani children in the education system
- European Commission will respond to Czech Gov't plans for Romani schoolchildren within the week
- Slovakia must explain discrimination of Roma in the schools to the European Commission
- European Commission to decide whether proceedings against Czech Republic over Roma discrimination will continue
- European Commission not satisfied with Czech response to discrimination of Romani children
- Czech Senate likely to reject European Commission's urging on Romani measures
- European Commission critiques fact that non-Czech EU citizens cannot establish parties in the Czech Republic
- ERTF: European Commission's previous efforts on Roma had little or no results
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Interview: Patriotism is not the same as hating those who are different
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Bulgaria: Roma fear imminent genocide after mob violence, police have been deployed
- How a Romani family in the Czech Republic lost their housing through no fault of their own
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?