MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
Yesterday the fourth annual Roma Week at the European Parliament in Brussels came to a close. According to one of the initiators of the event, MEP Soraya Post, who is herself of Romani origin, European politicians have failed to address the bad situation Romani people find themselves in across the continent.
"The social problems we [Roma] are facing are the consequences of the huge hate and the consensus that different actors in history have made," Post told ROMEA TV. "We are not in the Government, we don't put [forward] the decisions - they are, and they have failed. If they would have been successful, I would have had water and electricity and my children would go [to] school every day in Slovakia, in Hungary, in the Czech Republic, in Romania, in Sweden - everywhere. So they didn't do their job well. It's their failure."
Post believes some politicians are creating an atmosphere of hate in society. "You have Miloš Zeman - how can he, in that position, be that stupid, to speak out as he has done? The Deputy Prime Minister [Karakachanov] in Bulgaria - where is his intelligence?" Post asked, referring to the anti-Romani remarks made by these politicians.
According to the Romani MEP from Sweden, Romani people must stand up and say: Enough already! "They have to organize themselves, go into politics, educate, go out, demonstrate across the world, globally," Post told ROMEA TV.
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- European Parliament: Shouting matches over Italian "census" of Roma - Járóka finds it reasonable, Post calls for a halt
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech Republic: Romani women forced to undergo sterilization tell their stories through theater
- Soraya Post: Roma deportations increasing due to Syrian refugee crisis
- OSCE/ODIHR Event to Focus on Justice and Redress to Roma Victims of Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Slovak MEP of Romani origin joins the European People's Party
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Manipulation ahead of the EP vote: The tail wagging the dog
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia
- Stano Daniel: Czecho-Slovak perspectives on elections to the European Parliament