MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
Yesterday the fourth annual Roma Week at the European Parliament in Brussels came to a close. According to one of the initiators of the event, MEP Soraya Post, who is herself of Romani origin, European politicians have failed to address the bad situation Romani people find themselves in across the continent.
"The social problems we [Roma] are facing are the consequences of the huge hate and the consensus that different actors in history have made," Post told ROMEA TV. "We are not in the Government, we don't put [forward] the decisions - they are, and they have failed. If they would have been successful, I would have had water and electricity and my children would go [to] school every day in Slovakia, in Hungary, in the Czech Republic, in Romania, in Sweden - everywhere. So they didn't do their job well. It's their failure."
Post believes some politicians are creating an atmosphere of hate in society. "You have Miloš Zeman - how can he, in that position, be that stupid, to speak out as he has done? The Deputy Prime Minister [Karakachanov] in Bulgaria - where is his intelligence?" Post asked, referring to the anti-Romani remarks made by these politicians.
According to the Romani MEP from Sweden, Romani people must stand up and say: Enough already! "They have to organize themselves, go into politics, educate, go out, demonstrate across the world, globally," Post told ROMEA TV.
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- European Parliament holds fourth annual Roma Week, news server Romea.cz to broadcast live from Brussels
- Czech President insults Romani people yet again after casting his ballot
- European Parliament: Shouting matches over Italian "census" of Roma - Járóka finds it reasonable, Post calls for a halt
- Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?
- MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Czech Republic: Romani women forced to undergo sterilization tell their stories through theater
- Soraya Post: Roma deportations increasing due to Syrian refugee crisis
- OSCE/ODIHR Event to Focus on Justice and Redress to Roma Victims of Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech MP who compared Muslim immigrants to "invasive species" will not be stripped of immunity from prosecution
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech lower house committee suspends discussion of stripping ultranationalist MP of immunity from prosecution for xenophobic remarks
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now