VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
Representatives of Romani people from Belgium, France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the UK were scheduled to demonstrate together in front of the European Parliament at 11 AM today. News server ROMEA TV has been broadcasting the demonstration and press conference live online.
Those protesting are bothered by the fact that EU money sent to the Member States to combat poverty is ending up being pocketed by private individuals while the situations of tens of thousands of Roma living in poverty are not changing at all. They are also pointing out the growing radicalization of European society and warning against the racial hatreds to which ethnic Roma have been subjected very often in the past.
Those who organized the demonstration are proposing the establishment of a Romani Congress to which Romani representatives from all EU Member States would be elected. Already-recorded segments of the demonstration are accessible here below.
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Commissioner Jourová, awarding Andalusia prize for the EU Capital of Diversity and Inclusion: Roma are hardest hit during crises
- EU agrees rules to regulate social media content
- Bulgarian MEP fined for giving Nazi salute at the EP, Czech MEP calls it a mild warning
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Slovak MEP Peter Pollák draws attention to unequal treatment of Romani Ukrainian refugees on the floor of the EP
- Bulgarian MEP infamous for anti-Roma rhetoric gives Nazi salute on the floor of the European Parliament
- DEADLINE 31 JANUARY: Call to contribute to the Roma Civil Monitor 2021-2025 project
- The disinformation war in 2021: Main targets were Ukraine, COVID-19, and who is responsible for refugees
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Controversial Romani figure appears with Czech extremists opposing measures to control the pandemic