MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
According to Romani MEP Soraya Post, antigypsyism and discrimination against Romani people are a problem in every European country. In Sweden, where she comes from, the general living conditions for Romani people are, in her opinion, much better than in Bulgaria, Hungary or Romania.
Racist speech is constantly being committed by politicians in the national parliaments of EU Member States. The most recent very insulting such statement was made by Matteo Salvini of the extremist Italian Northern League party.
According to Post, Salvini said the following on International Romani Day: "What's to celebrate, that Roma parents are teaching their children to steal? I would prefer that they were teaching them to go to school."
Post says such incidents make her even more proud of the EU Roma Week. The event takes place at the European Parliament and is a constructive effort to address the problem of antigypsyism in Europe.
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Antigypsyism on the agenda at EU’s High-Level Group on combating racism, xenophobia and other forms of intolerance
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- Slovak Prosecutor says party head clearly used neo-Nazi symbolism so his followers would know his views
- Commentary: Work on antisemitism by US professor reminds us of antigypsyism in the Czech Republic today
- Commentary: Czech journalists stoke hatred of Romani people to distract from failed pandemic response
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
- Regional candidate for newest Czech party featured in music video by infamous establisher of neo-Nazi movement
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech Television reports that elected politicians' names have been removed from official report on extremism for 2019
- Czech school claims it's "random" that white children are segregated from Romani children in separate first-grade class