MEP Soraya Post for ROMEA TV: Antigypsyism exists everywhere in Europe
According to Romani MEP Soraya Post, antigypsyism and discrimination against Romani people are a problem in every European country. In Sweden, where she comes from, the general living conditions for Romani people are, in her opinion, much better than in Bulgaria, Hungary or Romania.
Racist speech is constantly being committed by politicians in the national parliaments of EU Member States. The most recent very insulting such statement was made by Matteo Salvini of the extremist Italian Northern League party.
According to Post, Salvini said the following on International Romani Day: "What's to celebrate, that Roma parents are teaching their children to steal? I would prefer that they were teaching them to go to school."
Post says such incidents make her even more proud of the EU Roma Week. The event takes place at the European Parliament and is a constructive effort to address the problem of antigypsyism in Europe.
- Roma Week at the European Parliament: 40 young Roma discuss antigypsyism with MEPs
- Alliance against Antigypsyism: EU Roma Week is an opportunity to focus on tackling antigypsyism in Europe
- Antigypsyism on the agenda at EU’s High-Level Group on combating racism, xenophobia and other forms of intolerance
- European Parliament: Roma in the EU face antigypsyism and everyday discrimination that must stop
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- VIDEO: Tents for Romani refugees from Ukraine were erected in the Czech capital in the Troja neighborhood
- Mayor of Prague says if the Czech state does not systematize the distribution of refugees it will close its aid center, tent city supposedly being built
- Czech far-right MP gives distasteful xenophobic speech in lower house, attacks Romani refugees with the Nazi term "inadaptables" - ministers left to shut down the session
- Commentary: Arrogant behavior of Czech Railways staff toward Romani refugees from Ukraine and absurd police proposals