Michal Miko to the Czech Regional Development Minister: Live in a container yourself, then we will see what you think of it
The proposal of the Czech Regional Development Minister to build 55 000 "container" units of housing has outraged various civic activists. Michal Miko, project coordinator for the Slovo 21, z.s. NGO, has taken an unequivocally negative stance on the issue: "The fact that the Government wants to adopt a law making it possible to build 'container' apartment units is unacceptable to me as a civic activist."
Jamen Gabriela Hrabanova, the director of the Brussels-based European Roma Grassroots Organizations Network says "We are calling on the Czech Republic and other Member States to invest into the kind of inclusion of Romani people that they themselves want." News server Romea.cz reported on the ministry's proposal here.
- Czech Labor Minister praises container housing in Romani ghetto
- Roma residents of "container" housing face eviction in the Czech Republic
- Two Czech Romany families can move from containers to flats
- Czech Spolu (Together) coalition: Education is the path to better integration of Roma, "inadaptables" don't want to conform
- Fire in Czech town destroys building where bereaved relatives of Stanislav Tomáš, the Romani man who died in police custody in June, were living
- Romanian town must finally compensate some members of a forcibly evicted Romani community
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech law on housing benefit-free zones was an attack on human dignity
- Czech mayors regret abolition of housing benefit-free zones, one alleges the move will "cause extremism"
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister proposes "expropriating" residential hotels after housing benefit-free zones declared unconstitutional
- BREAKTHROUGH DECISION: Czech Constitutional Court overturns part of law that allowed municipalities to declare "housing benefit-free zones"
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Czech Bishops Conference distances itself from candidates running with extremists
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- ERGO Network and other Roma, pro-Roma and antiracist CSOs call for the independent investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech town cancels commission for container housing as too costly - which local opposition politicians have argued all along