Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
The scandal of racist commentaries being posted to Facebook in response to the international Lidl retail chain's use of a black model in an advertising flier in the Czech Republic has drawn media attention in many European countries including Germany, Hungary and Slovakia. The news has reached the model himself, who lives in Hamburg, Germany.
"Such a reaction in the year 2017 is shocking," 24-year-old Alpha Dia, who was born in Senegal, said in an interview with the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. The model said he shuddered to think that fears about the extinction of the "white race", which are apparently held by many Czechs, might also be held by some Germans and other nations.
Dia said that while nothing of the sort has ever happened before during his work career while he has been in contact with Czech colleagues, he does grapple with prejudices in everday life because of his origin. "In recent years one has had to face unpleasant looks from people on the train more and more frequently or hear silly remarks," the model said.
He also acknowledged that black models encounter problems from time to time because some firms obviously want to defend themselves against public censure and therefore prefer to choose white models only for their advertising. "The darker the person, the more difficult it just is," Dia said, adding that he personally has been more successful in Milan or Paris than in Germany.
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders
- Czech journalists find the man behind the Aeronet disinformation server
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree