Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
The scandal of racist commentaries being posted to Facebook in response to the international Lidl retail chain's use of a black model in an advertising flier in the Czech Republic has drawn media attention in many European countries including Germany, Hungary and Slovakia. The news has reached the model himself, who lives in Hamburg, Germany.
"Such a reaction in the year 2017 is shocking," 24-year-old Alpha Dia, who was born in Senegal, said in an interview with the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. The model said he shuddered to think that fears about the extinction of the "white race", which are apparently held by many Czechs, might also be held by some Germans and other nations.
Dia said that while nothing of the sort has ever happened before during his work career while he has been in contact with Czech colleagues, he does grapple with prejudices in everday life because of his origin. "In recent years one has had to face unpleasant looks from people on the train more and more frequently or hear silly remarks," the model said.
He also acknowledged that black models encounter problems from time to time because some firms obviously want to defend themselves against public censure and therefore prefer to choose white models only for their advertising. "The darker the person, the more difficult it just is," Dia said, adding that he personally has been more successful in Milan or Paris than in Germany.
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Do the Czech courts believe "black swine" is not a racist insult?
- Czech Police: Demonstrators meant us when they chanted "black swine"
- Slovakia: Brutal attack on black basketball player under investigation
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Czech Police arrest two Romani men for attack on police, confirm media exaggerated the incident
- Czech media again exaggerate assault incident, promote antigypsyist stereotypes
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Czech capital sees public discussion on future form and role of the Lety memorial to the genocide of Roma
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
Tags:Germany, Média, Racism, Reklama
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.