Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
The scandal of racist commentaries being posted to Facebook in response to the international Lidl retail chain's use of a black model in an advertising flier in the Czech Republic has drawn media attention in many European countries including Germany, Hungary and Slovakia. The news has reached the model himself, who lives in Hamburg, Germany.
"Such a reaction in the year 2017 is shocking," 24-year-old Alpha Dia, who was born in Senegal, said in an interview with the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. The model said he shuddered to think that fears about the extinction of the "white race", which are apparently held by many Czechs, might also be held by some Germans and other nations.
Dia said that while nothing of the sort has ever happened before during his work career while he has been in contact with Czech colleagues, he does grapple with prejudices in everday life because of his origin. "In recent years one has had to face unpleasant looks from people on the train more and more frequently or hear silly remarks," the model said.
He also acknowledged that black models encounter problems from time to time because some firms obviously want to defend themselves against public censure and therefore prefer to choose white models only for their advertising. "The darker the person, the more difficult it just is," Dia said, adding that he personally has been more successful in Milan or Paris than in Germany.
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Do the Czech courts believe "black swine" is not a racist insult?
- Czech Police: Demonstrators meant us when they chanted "black swine"
- Slovakia: Brutal attack on black basketball player under investigation
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Patrik Banga: How can people in the Czech Republic write about reviving the concentration camps?
- Czech citizens file crime report over MP's remarks denying the suffering of Romani genocide victims
- New Zealand grants asylum to family from Czech Republic with non-Romani and Romani members because of neo-Nazi death threats
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture officially takes charge of memorial at Romani genocide site in Hodonín u Kunštátu
- Germany: Romani-inhabited building struck by arson, media strangely quiet
- Czech attorney: Justice for online hate has been won in a case of racist assaults against two Romani brothers
- Czech pro-Kremlin disinformation Facebook page sparks wave of racist, vulgar comments about non-white infant
- Analysis: A propaganda war needs angry, defiant, disgusted, nerve-wracked people - and the Czech Republic qualifies
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
Tags:Germany, Média, Racism, Reklama
Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"7.2.2018 16:32
concentration camp at Lety u Písku, a site of the genocide of the Roma during the Second World War. When asked today whether he supports removing Okamura from his post as vice-chair of the lower house, as the Christian Democrats propose, the PM said he considers Okamura's apology to have been sufficient.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.