Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
A photograph that purports to show an expression of condolences to Stanislav Tomáš, who died after police intervened against him on 19 June, has been shared more than a thousand times among Romani users of Facebook. The accompanying text falsely alleges the photograph is from England and that it shows the beginning of a sports match where an enormous Romani flag is being held by players on the field.
The image is a fake, or more precisely, it is a photograph that has been altered using an application that allows users to insert any photograph in place of the flag. "England expresses condolences to the young Romani gentleman murdered by the Police of the Czech Republic, stop racism!" one Facebook user has written on Facebook in association with the image.
In reality this is a photograph from the opening of the Super Bowl in the USA, the annual championship game of the National Football League (NFL), and by using the PhotoFunia application it is possible to insert any photograph into the space of the flag that actually was held by players on the field during the game. "One of the biggest sporting events, in terms of TV viewer numbers, is the NFL’s Super Bowl, which draws over 120 million people worldwide. To mark the grand event the organizers usually stage excellent entertainment which includes live concerts, cheerleader performances and parades with huge flags. Now imagine that the enormous flag is adorned with a picture of you or someone you know in a spotlight for all to see. With the help of PhotoFunia you can replace the flag with your own picture in just a few seconds," the description for this particular feature reads.
The photograph with the Romani flag on the field is not depicting something that actually happened. These other photographs show how easy it is to fake such an image.
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Roma Lives Matter demo in Czech capital hears eyewitness testimony that Stanislav Tomáš was carried motionless on a stretcher into the ambulance
- Russia calls for investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš after intervention by police in Teplice
- LIVE at 18:00 TODAY - Webinar on police brutality against Romani people with MEP Romeo Franz and director of RomanoNet Michal Miko
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
- Antigypsyist hoax returns to Czech Internet alleging that Roma get free public transportation
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- HOAX: Romani actor allegedly "forbidden" by NGO to use the word "gypsy"
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Czech online tabloids recycling long-debunked antigypsyist hoaxes alleging Roma get free transportation, washing machines
- HOAX: Video from Prague spreads through Facebook alleging "Islamic refugees" were caught trying to rape a girl
- Facebook wants to combat online hoaxes through expert fact-checking
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Russian news servers spread hoax that "Western media" are faking reports of civilians rescuing children in Aleppo
- Czech Republic: Anti-Romani politician spreads hoax that Roma are bilking the state - through lightbulbs
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room