OPEN CALL for 5th CoE Dialogue with Roma and Traveller Civil Society next month - DEADLINE 27 MAY to apply
The Roma and Travellers Team at the Council of Europe (CoE) has announced there is an open call for participation in the Council of Europe's 5th Dialogue with civil society from Roma and Traveller communities around Europe, which will be held this year from 20-21 June in Strasbourg, France. This meeting will focus on the issue of political participation by Roma and Travellers.
The Dialogue aims to make visible the rights of Roma and Travellers to actively participate in politics, to highlight participation as crucial to tackling discrimination, and to increase the capacity of Roma and Traveller NGOs to identify good practices for strengthening Romani political participation. The Concept Note for the 5th Dialogue is available here.
The working languages of the Dialogue meeting will be English, French and Romanes. The Council of Europe expects to especially achieve better promotion of meaningful participation by Roma and Traveller women and youth in political life and in public decision-making bodies.
The Dialogue will make good practices from across the 47 CoE member States more visible and will map priorities for enhancing Roma and Traveller political participation that will then become part of the post-2019 agenda for the international human rights organization. Roma and Traveller experts from local civil society organizations and representatives of Roma and Traveller or women's organizations with expertise in political participation are encouraged to attend.
Open call for participation
Interested candidates must complete an online Application Form by Sunday, 27 May 2018, at 18:00 Central European Time. Applicants should be experts in one of the following areas: Roma youth; Roma women; promoting political participation and representation; improving the quality of decision-making processes at local and national level; establishing links between Roma and Traveller communities and state institutions/political parties; promoting effective policies in political and public life participation; voter education.
Applicants should also be in a position to use the outcomes of the meeting in their work; be resident in one of the Council of Europe member States; be actively involved in Roma or Traveller political participation issues, particularly in the area of youth and/or women; attend the meeting for its full duration; and be able to express themselves fluently in at least one of the working languages of the Dialogue meeting (English, French, Romani). A maximum of 20 representatives of Roma and Traveller civil society will be selected by the Council of Europe Secretariat to participate in the Dialogue.
The selection process will secure age balance, gender balance, geographical balance, balance between Roma and Traveller Civil Society organizations both international and national, and the balanced representation of other key stakeholders with expertise on the topic areas. Applicants should clearly state in their motivation letter what their area of competence and expertise are in this field and indicate in which way their expertise could contribute to reaching pertinent conclusions with respect to the identified topic for the Dialogue meeting.
Those chosen to participate will be informed by Friday 1 June 2018. More information is available at www.coe.int/roma-dialogue
- Council of Europe calls for progress on women's sexual and reproductive rights, including redress of forced sterilization by Czech Republic
- Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner welcomes Czech Govt purchase of pig farm on Romani genocide site
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on voters not to re-elect Zeman
- Czech village that won Council of Europe's Roma integration award removing benches used by Romani youth
- Czech Republic to chair Council of Europe, claims human rights are a priority
- Czech civil society prize goes to Romani musician Radek Banga for protesting music award to neo-Nazi band
- Civil society members of Czech Gov't Council on Roma Affairs visit Brno to discuss policy with Romani community
- Alexander Oláh: A brief report on the emancipation, integration, and participation of Roma
- Commentary: Can a "trafficker in poverty" improve the participation of impoverished Romani people?
- System of negative and positive votes in the Czech Republic could increase participation
- Slovak PM on Romani settlements: Incentivize employment, no tolerance for disorder
- Lucie Fuková: There's no excuse for not voting
- Czech local elections see at least 150 Romani men and women running
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- Now that evictees are housed, Czech local government attacks NGOs and the poor
- OSCE Mission to Serbia responds to Romani NGOs about alleged radicalization, references British Council report
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Romani NGOs around Europe ask why the OSCE is researching alleged radicalization of their communities in Serbia
- Hungarian Scouts claim they did not discriminate against Romani applicants
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
Tags:Civil society, Council of Europe, democracy, Discrimination, Politics, Roma, Romani candidates, Travellers
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.