Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
Štefan Pongo, a truck driver who dedicates his free time to civic activism and is currently establishing an organization called the Czechoslovak Romani Union, was a guest on ROMEA TV's "Interview" program, moderated by Patrik Banga. The Czechoslovak Romani Union is meant to be active in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
The Charter of the Romani People, which the association has issued, draws attention to the need for more Romani representation in public office. The interview with Banga, in Czech, was first broadcast on 28 June.
On 29 June, incoming MEP Peter Pollák, who is a Romani community member from Slovakia, contacted news server Romea.cz and ROMEA TV to respond to Pongo's allegation that the two men had spoken on the telephone and have been preparing to do a live broadcast together. Pollák said that claim is not true.
"I have never spoken with Mr Pongo, neither by telephone nor in person. We have not ever planned any live broadcasts together. He could not even have spoken with an assistant of mine, because I currently do not have an assistant and I will not assume the mandate of Member of the European Parliament until 2 July 2019. I am planning to meet with MEP Tomáš Zdechovský. I'm sorry to say that the organizer of this protest, Štefan Pongo, whom I do not know, is disseminating fabricated allegations about my person," Pollák said in a statement sent to news server Romea.cz.
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- German academic institution to hold seminar on the influence of ethnic discrimination on Romani health
- Jarmila Balážová: Is the boundary of what is excusable being pushed beyond all recognition?
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Czech director of "The Painted Bird": All it takes here is to be different and you've got a problem
- Czech expert says haters' attention is fixating on Roma again, "migration" as a subject is over
- Ukraine: Romani activist Anzhelika Belova hospitalized after stabbing, assailant arrested
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Czech Govt report on the state of the Romani minority estimates 830 ghettos with 127 000 inhabitants in the regions