Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
Štefan Pongo, a truck driver who dedicates his free time to civic activism and is currently establishing an organization called the Czechoslovak Romani Union, was a guest on ROMEA TV's "Interview" program, moderated by Patrik Banga. The Czechoslovak Romani Union is meant to be active in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
The Charter of the Romani People, which the association has issued, draws attention to the need for more Romani representation in public office. The interview with Banga, in Czech, was first broadcast on 28 June.
On 29 June, incoming MEP Peter Pollák, who is a Romani community member from Slovakia, contacted news server Romea.cz and ROMEA TV to respond to Pongo's allegation that the two men had spoken on the telephone and have been preparing to do a live broadcast together. Pollák said that claim is not true.
"I have never spoken with Mr Pongo, neither by telephone nor in person. We have not ever planned any live broadcasts together. He could not even have spoken with an assistant of mine, because I currently do not have an assistant and I will not assume the mandate of Member of the European Parliament until 2 July 2019. I am planning to meet with MEP Tomáš Zdechovský. I'm sorry to say that the organizer of this protest, Štefan Pongo, whom I do not know, is disseminating fabricated allegations about my person," Pollák said in a statement sent to news server Romea.cz.
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- French police brutally beat 14-year-old Romani boy during arrest, his family plan to sue
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Slovakia: Two non-Romani assailants who invaded Romani home to personally deliver death threats given suspended sentences