Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
Štefan Pongo, a truck driver who dedicates his free time to civic activism and is currently establishing an organization called the Czechoslovak Romani Union, was a guest on ROMEA TV's "Interview" program, moderated by Patrik Banga. The Czechoslovak Romani Union is meant to be active in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
The Charter of the Romani People, which the association has issued, draws attention to the need for more Romani representation in public office. The interview with Banga, in Czech, was first broadcast on 28 June.
On 29 June, incoming MEP Peter Pollák, who is a Romani community member from Slovakia, contacted news server Romea.cz and ROMEA TV to respond to Pongo's allegation that the two men had spoken on the telephone and have been preparing to do a live broadcast together. Pollák said that claim is not true.
"I have never spoken with Mr Pongo, neither by telephone nor in person. We have not ever planned any live broadcasts together. He could not even have spoken with an assistant of mine, because I currently do not have an assistant and I will not assume the mandate of Member of the European Parliament until 2 July 2019. I am planning to meet with MEP Tomáš Zdechovský. I'm sorry to say that the organizer of this protest, Štefan Pongo, whom I do not know, is disseminating fabricated allegations about my person," Pollák said in a statement sent to news server Romea.cz.
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- Ukraine: Romani activist Anzhelika Belova hospitalized after stabbing, assailant arrested
- Czech President Havel protested against the wall separating non-Roma from Roma on Matiční Street 20 years ago
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Czech Govt report on the state of the Romani minority estimates 830 ghettos with 127 000 inhabitants in the regions
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- Czech MPs draft bill to compensate women who have been forcibly sterilized
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals