LIVE: OSCE Human Dimension Implementation Meeting addresses Roma today and tomorrow, watch online
At 10 AM CET today the second week of the OSCE's Human Dimension Implementation Meeting (HDIM) comes to a close with two days devoted to Romani issues. The live webcast of the meeting is available at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cWS7cst3aUm and will be archived there.
The HDIM is Europe's largest annual human rights and democracy conference, organized by the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) as a platform for the 57 OSCE participating States, Partners for Co-operation, OSCE structures, civil society, international organizations and others to be updated on the implementation of the OSCE human dimension commitments, discuss associated challenges, share good practices and make recommendations for further improvement. The meeting began on 21 September and participants have been tweeting about it with the hashtag #HDIM2015.
The first working session of 1 October is dedicated to non-discrimination and tolerance, featuring an update on the implementation of the OSCE's Action Plan on Improving the Situation of Roma and Sinti. In the afternoon the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) will hold a plenary event on Roma and Sinti Youth.
That will be followed by a second working session where the OSCE High Commissioner on National Minorities will update those assembled on preventing aggressive chauvinism and protecting the rights of persons who are members of national minorities. A side event on Romani and Sinti Women's political participation will be convened by ODIHR, the Permanent Mission of Finland to the OSCE and the Permanent Mission of Romania to the International Organizations in Vienna.
Friday morning's working session will focus on project work. The closing plenary session will feature statements from the participating State delegations, including the "right of reply" to issues raised.
Previous sessions of the meeting have discussed the need for participating States to implement commitments on protecting communities of believers,to place human rights at the center of Europe's migration crisis, and to combat widespread human rights violations in Crimea. On 15 September ODIHR Director Michael Georg Link marked the International Day of Democracy by emphasizing how vital it is that states create environments that enable the work of civil society and its essential role in promoting democratic values.
- MEP and OSCE/ODIHR call for evictions of Roma to end in Bulgaria
- Young Roma at OSCE conference: We must increase our participation in public life
- OSCE conference on equal access to quality education for Roma children in the Czech Republic
- On International Roma Day, OSCE/ODIHR Director calls for greater efforts to improve co-operation between police and Roma communities
- OSCE conference on Roma inclusion
- ODIHR Director saddened by death of Nicolae Gheorghe, architect of OSCE work on Roma issues
- OSCE election monitor team focuses on Romani participation in Czech vote
- Amnesty International and OSCE criticize the position of Romani people in Europe
- LIVE: Roma and Sinti Special Day at the OSCE HDIM
- Violent anti-Roma protests in Bulgaria show urgent need to combat extremism, OSCE human rights chief says
- OSCE human rights chief welcomes declaration of official Roma genocide remembrance day in Poland
- Hungarian authorities and OSCE cooperate to combat hate crimes against Roma
- OSCE warns against stigmatizing Roma
- Remembering the Holocaust is key to fighting modern-day racism, OSCE Roma adviser says ahead of UN ceremony
- OSCE warns of child trafficking in Kosovo
- BARUVAS meeting of Romani students held in Czech Republic for the 16th time: Media education, video production, the history of the Roma and many new friendships
- LIVE at 14:00 CET: Three European Roma TV stations to produce magazine program
- UN Committee: Racial discrimination against Romani people persists unabated in Slovakia
- Martin Mata, candidate for the Czech Republic's Manager of the Year 2021: We have to blaze the trail for young people to follow
- Chair of Roma Luma party compiles list of Romani people whom he calls "collaborators and traitors", his fellow non-Roma candidate defends ultranationalists
- Czech civil society: Compensation for illegal sterilizations is too slow and too strict, just 35 successful cases out of 261 applications so far
- OSCE: The genocide of the Roma must be included in curricula at school, youth must learn about the dangers of ideologies that are racist
- Czech foundation established by Olga Havlová recalls what she honored while she lived: Freedom, justice, and respect for others
- Romani organizer from North Macedonia discusses democracy with Barack Obama at Copenhagen Democracy Summit
- Petr Torák, MBE, refused restaurant service in Czech capital because he is Romani - interview will broadcast in Czech at 20:00 CET
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023