Pavel Berky: I draw inspiration from my origins and prefer to sew my designs myself
Pavel Berky is one of the most talented fashion designers of the younger generation. He is a native of Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia who is proud of his Romani origins.
This successful fashion designer currently lives and works in London and recently was one of the four finalists in the Exalt Fashion Show. In November 2016 he presented his collections in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA at that show's closing event and subsequently won the competition.
As a result, he now has an extraordinary opportunity to present his own creations in 2017 at shows in London, Milan, New York and Paris. The interview with him above was first published on 7 December 2016 - make sure to turn the English subtitles on to read them.
Berky previously presented his work in 2014 in Prague during the Mercedes-Benz Prague Fashion Week. In 2013, as part of the ninth annual prestigious Czech fashion show "Shooting Fashion Stars", his collection won the award for "most photogenic".
In the year 2012, Berky became the winner of the prestigious Czech fashion competition "TOP STYL DESIGNER" with his XY collection. That competition was part of the program of the international fashion fair "STYL a KABO", which is regularly hosted at the exhibition grounds in Brno, Czech Republic.
A total of 23 candidates from four countries applied for that competition. That same year Berky also successfully presented his designs at the Dreft Fashion Week in Prague.
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away