Pavel Berky: I draw inspiration from my origins and prefer to sew my designs myself
Pavel Berky is one of the most talented fashion designers of the younger generation. He is a native of Rimavská Sobota, Slovakia who is proud of his Romani origins.
This successful fashion designer currently lives and works in London and recently was one of the four finalists in the Exalt Fashion Show. In November 2016 he presented his collections in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA at that show's closing event and subsequently won the competition.
As a result, he now has an extraordinary opportunity to present his own creations in 2017 at shows in London, Milan, New York and Paris. The interview with him above was first published on 7 December 2016 - make sure to turn the English subtitles on to read them.
Berky previously presented his work in 2014 in Prague during the Mercedes-Benz Prague Fashion Week. In 2013, as part of the ninth annual prestigious Czech fashion show "Shooting Fashion Stars", his collection won the award for "most photogenic".
In the year 2012, Berky became the winner of the prestigious Czech fashion competition "TOP STYL DESIGNER" with his XY collection. That competition was part of the program of the international fashion fair "STYL a KABO", which is regularly hosted at the exhibition grounds in Brno, Czech Republic.
A total of 23 candidates from four countries applied for that competition. That same year Berky also successfully presented his designs at the Dreft Fashion Week in Prague.
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- Ladislav Samek: It is hard to get rid of the label of "institutionalized child" in Czech society
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Romani player on Czech futsal team says he responds to racism by playing even better
- Even in hell, she chose good: Alfreda Markowska, the Polish Romani woman who saved Jewish and Romani children from the Nazis
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Charlie Chaplin's granddaughters making documentary film about his Romani heritage