Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
"My family and I seriously considered returning to the Czech Republic, at least for some time, because we are concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic and the insufficient measures being taken against it here in Great Britain. However, because we don't own our own apartment in the Czech Republic where we could stay until we would no longer be carriers of infection, and what's more, because we would have to move in with our parents, we prefer to remain in England," said Petr Torák, MBE, a Romani emigré from the Czech Republic who used to work as a police officer in Peterborough and who now directs the KOMPAS organization there, in an interview for ROMEA TV.
"Now what is essential is the outreach and work we are doing in our organization. However, dozens of Romani people are leaving Great Britain," he said, describing the current situation in England and how it is losing the fight against COVID-19.
"The Czech and Slovak Roma are some of the few people even wearing face masks here in Peterborough. More than 6 000 Romani people have been living here, dozens of whom have already returned to the Czech Republic or to Slovakia, and others will follow them home because the situation here is deteriorating," he explained.
KOMPAS is now doing its best to prepare Romani people planning to move home for the fact that quarantine awaits them in their home countries, because many have no idea what that entails. "The Romani people leaving here are those who have built up a life for themselves here, they work and their children are studying. These are not people on welfare, it's impossible to enjoy that kind of support here for long," he said.
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- UK: Anti-fascists, Roma, students thwart planned meeting of Slovak fascists in London
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- About 1 000 Romani residents of a single Slovak village have been working in Britain and now fear Brexit
- Commentary: Czech TV Prima broadcasts manipulative report about Roma returning from Britain en masse
- Czech PM says EU must become less bureaucratic, Slovak Govt tells its nationals in Britain not to worry yet
- Slovak TV: British authorities taking Czech and Slovak Romani children from their families
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Romania: "Gipsycoin" cryptocurrency launched by Romani community leader
- Czech citizens living abroad can vote in October elections, deadline to register at consulate or embassy is 29 August
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic