Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
"My family and I seriously considered returning to the Czech Republic, at least for some time, because we are concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic and the insufficient measures being taken against it here in Great Britain. However, because we don't own our own apartment in the Czech Republic where we could stay until we would no longer be carriers of infection, and what's more, because we would have to move in with our parents, we prefer to remain in England," said Petr Torák, MBE, a Romani emigré from the Czech Republic who used to work as a police officer in Peterborough and who now directs the KOMPAS organization there, in an interview for ROMEA TV.
"Now what is essential is the outreach and work we are doing in our organization. However, dozens of Romani people are leaving Great Britain," he said, describing the current situation in England and how it is losing the fight against COVID-19.
"The Czech and Slovak Roma are some of the few people even wearing face masks here in Peterborough. More than 6 000 Romani people have been living here, dozens of whom have already returned to the Czech Republic or to Slovakia, and others will follow them home because the situation here is deteriorating," he explained.
KOMPAS is now doing its best to prepare Romani people planning to move home for the fact that quarantine awaits them in their home countries, because many have no idea what that entails. "The Romani people leaving here are those who have built up a life for themselves here, they work and their children are studying. These are not people on welfare, it's impossible to enjoy that kind of support here for long," he said.
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- UK: Anti-fascists, Roma, students thwart planned meeting of Slovak fascists in London
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- Czech PM says EU must become less bureaucratic, Slovak Govt tells its nationals in Britain not to worry yet
- Australian-British choreographer works with refugees and Romani people in the Czech Republic as part of international project
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Romani police officer originally from Czech Republic becomes a Member of the British Empire
- Slovak TV: British authorities taking Czech and Slovak Romani children from their families
- CNN: Czech Republic has discriminated against Romani refugees from Ukraine, updated data refute the myth that they all hold dual citizenship
- President of Slovakia Zuzana Čaputová posts in Romanes for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day: Te e historija na avel pale kampel te achaľol, so hin ňenavisť
- British authorities sentence couple who enslaved Romani youth to nine and 16 years in prison respectively
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech detention facility housing 130+ refugees from Ukraine, half of them are Romani