Poland: Trial begins of neo-Nazis who celebrated birthday of the mass murderer Adolf Hitler
The trial has begun in Poland of a group of neo-Nazis who gathered two years ago in a forest in the south of the country to celebrate what would have been the 128th birthday of the leader of the Nazi Third Reich, Adolf Hitler. The event was filmed by an undercover reporter for the TVN station, which broadcast footage of it.
Six people are now on trial for promoting Nazism in association with the event. The leader of the group called Hitler a "gentleman".
"There are many people who hide in the basement and do indecent things. I am fascinated by the environment of the Third Reich. I have the right to be. I hid it from people, but TVN has revealed my secret without my consent," the 37-year-old miner who supervises the "Pride and Modernity" (Duma i Nowoczesność - DN) association told the court.
DN's official aim is to promote "national and patriotic values, to spread human rights and freedoms and to support the development of democracy", as the Polish newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza reported. The head of the association, who is nicknamed "Sitas", wore an SS officer's uniform during the celebration held in May 2017 and announced that "Adolf Hitler was one of the best strategists, leaders and minds of all time," with a vision for uniting the nation on the basis of "pride, honor and allegiance".
"Hitler was a true gentleman, women were fascinated by him and children loved him. He was a very decent person. He never abused people in a vulgar way or committed any bad behavior. [The Nazi party] NSDAP beneath Hitler's guidance promoted family values, motherhood, fatherhood, respect and honor," Sitas declared while standing before a burning swastika and urging those present to toast "To Adolf Hitler and our homeland, our beloved Poland."
Those attending toasted Hitler and chanted the Nazi greeting "Sieg Heil!" ("Hail Victory!"). In court, Sitas did not admit his guilt, but alleged that his fascination with the Third Reich - which apparently contravenes his Polish patriotism - is his secret hobby that he had hid from the world before the "opposition television" crew broadcast footage of his "private celebration".
According to prosecutors, however, this was not the first such event DN had organized. They also found photos in Sitas' computer of him giving the Nazi salute at Auschwitz, the former Nazi extermination camp that is now a state memorial and museum.
The statute of limitations has already expired for that particular offense. The Nazi occupation of Poland cost the lives of six million people there, three million of them Jews who were Polish citizens.
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- Polish prosecutor investigating anti-Jewish demonstration at the gates of Auschwitz
- Poland: Ultra-nationalists troll Auschwitz commemoration for the first time ever
- Poland: Solidarity march with Muslims planned in Elk after xenophobic unrest continues
- Poland: Attempted robbery results in death, racist unrest
- Poland: German television series sued for scenes depicting Polish anti-Semitism during WWII
- England: Arsonists attack Polish family in Plymouth
- UK: "No More Polish Vermin" - adherents of Brexit assault foreigners on the streets
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks