Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
Yesterday Pope Francis met with the football teams of the World Roma Federation, the Vatican itself, and representatives of Lazio Roma. Today the "Romani representation" will compete with the Vatican team in Lazio Roma's training center.
The Romani footballers include Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic. "An unbelievable journey, two Romani guys from the street meeting Pope Francis, who shook our hands and blessed the Romani nation," Horváth posted to Facebook.
"We were honored, history is being made here," the footballer added. As part of the "We Are All Brothers" program, Francis is expanding his efforts to promote brotherhood and dialogue through sports.
That effort corresponds to Lazio Roma's efforts to combat discrimination and racism in football. The team is sponsoring the friendly football match today between the Vatican and the team of the World Roma Federation.
The football team of the World Roma Federation was established in Croatia. Profits from the match and from the auctioning of signed footballs used in yesterday's Lazio-Juventus match in the A Series will be donated to the program of the Archdiocese of Rome aiming to include Romani children in local football clubs.
Pulko hails from Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic and actively dedicated himself to football from the age of 10. Until he turned 18 he played for the league in his home town, but then suffered an injury that ended his career as a professional.
Despite the fact that he no longer plays professionally, he decided to dedicate his energy, experience and know-how to other boys, most of them Romani, who play in the streets of his home town unattended. He began training them in his free time.
Pulka has established the amateur football club Mongaguá for these children, which is now active in several other cities in the Czech Republic. The Mongaguá club in Ostrava is led by Jaroslav Horváth.
- Slovakia: Those planning to attend public events with Pope Francis have to register online
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech footballer appeals UEFA ban, insists he never said anything racist
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Pope supports registered partnership for same-sex couples, Romani community member in the Czech Republic calls it progress
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Pope Francis apologizes to Romani people, asks forgiveness for discrimination, mistreatment and segregation
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
- Czech Republic: Pope Francis gives his blessing to the sixth year of the Roma Spirit awards
- Almost 2 000 Romani people granted historic audience with the Pope
- Pope asks French to welcome all nationalities
- Hindus and Jews urge Pope to undertake cause of Roma of Czech Republic during his September visit
- Pope appeals for respect for migrants rights after Italy begins clampdown on Romanians
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Popular Romani musician Rytmus to box Gábor Boráros in Slovakia
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status