President of Bulgarian Helsinki Committee assaulted in Sofia, says it was retribution for his human rights work
The Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN) reports that Krasimir Kanev, the president of the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee (BHC), an independent human rights NGOs, was assaulted in Sofia yesterday. Kanev told the BIRN he was attacked in the morning in front of the Radisson Hotel by two men whom he did not recognize who punched him in the face and stomach before fleeing the scene.
Police arrived 15 minutes later, the news server reports. Kanev told BIRN that such incidents against him have increased over the last two years.
Bulgaria's center-right coalition government currently includes the nationalist Patriotic Front party, and Kanev told BIRN that he believes that fact is why he has been subjected to physical violence recently. The group has frequently accused the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee of being "anti-national".
The European Grassroots Antiracism Movement (EGAM) tweeted its condemnation of the attack and expressed solidarity with the BHC. The group most recently released a report on 24 October on the overcrowded, vermin-infested, violent environment of Bulgaria's prisons, discussing how the country has responded to the European Court of Human Rights judgment last year that found serious human rights violations due to structural problems with the entire penitentiary system.
- Analysis from Bulgaria: Anti-Gypsyism is the enemy at the gates
- Bulgarian man who abused Romani youth convicted of racially-motivated attack
- Bulgaria: Anti-Romani protests in southern town of Radnevo
- Commentary: Standing with Mitko against racist violence in Bulgaria
- Bulgaria: Romani "imam" arrested last year for allegedly joining the so-called Islamic State
- Bulgarian Helsinki Committee: Opportunistic politicians evicting Roma for political gain
- Bulgarian NGOs get injunction suspending demolition of Roma homes in Peshtera
- Bulgaria and France reprimanded by UN Human Rights Commissioner over Roma displacement
- Bulgaria: Romani dwellings demolished in Varna
- Bulgaria Must Stop Its Anti-Roma Attacks
- Gallup poll shows Roma isolation from Bulgarian society has intensified over the last 20 years
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks