Roma artists required for Hungarian art project
Artists are being asked to paint the walls of houses in what is a socially deprived area, where the population of 210 is 90% Roma. Bódvalenke’s annual budget is 30 million forints (around 100,000 euros) which is mainly used for the running of the mayor’s office, social allowances and public work schemes, leaving no money for the development of the village.
Hungarian Roma painters have already completed 13 stunning, artistic wall designs.
Roma artists from across Europe are now being invited to Bódvalenke to participate in the project.
Artwork designs will first be judged by a selected jury. For those painters whose designs are chosen, paint, brushes, accommodation and meals will all be arranged and travel expenses will be covered. In addition, a grant will be provided depending on the size of the piece of work, on average 1000 euros.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Those who are interested should send proposed designs (preferably in PDF) to Eszter Pásztor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the project can be found at http://www.bodvalenke.eu/.
- VIDEO: Ostentatious homes built by Roma community in Romania reflect their desire for prestige
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- "Romani Army" by Berlin-based Maxim Gorki Theater Company gets standing ovation at Czech festival
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Czech Agriculture Ministry advises hiring Ukrainian labor despite domestic Romani labor offer for bark beetle work
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Roma, make our voices heard in the European Parliament elections!