Roma from Kherson oblast in Ukraine capture tank from Russian occupiers
The war in Ukraine launched by the Russian Federation has been going on for four days. Since February 24, not just soldiers, but also civilians in Ukraine have been trying to stop the Russian army from advancing.
As the Romea.cz news server previously reported, Romani Ukrainians are also involved in the fight against the occupiers. Today, the largest Ukrainian news agency UNIAN, referring to local sources, published a report that Romani fighters near Kakhovka in the Kherson region managed to seize a tank from the Russian occupiers.
"In addition to the heroic work of the armed forces, civilians, including the Roma, have come to the rescue. They confiscated a tank from the Russian attackers tonight, February 27. It happened near Kakhovka, in the village of Lyubimovka, Kherson region," reports UNIAN.
Romea.cz previously quoted Radio Romano from Sweden as saying that the Roma are also involved in the fighting with the Ukrainian Army. "There are a lot of Romani soldiers in Ukraine," Viktor Chovka, an editor at TV21 Ungar in Uzhhorod, told Radio Romano.
"A lot of Roma who became soldiers signed contracts with the Ukrainian Army long ago. There are also a lot of Roma who want to go to war, because this is the place where we were born - in Ukraine," Chovka added.
Romani civilians are also helping with the preparation of various fortifications in their cities. In the Transcarpathian Region, for example, they have been filling sandbags.
- Roma in the Czech Republic and Slovakia join aid efforts for victims of Russian aggression in Ukraine
- Young Romani activist from Ukraine: Stop this war! Ask your representatives to call on Russia to withdraw its troops from Ukraine
- Viktor Chovka: Roma in the Ukrainian Army are fighting the Russian occupiers, we were born in Ukraine and are defending it
- Czech Republic: RomanoNet condemns barbaric attack by Russia on Ukraine, expresses support to Roma and all inhabitants of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and independence
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Government should collaborate more with experts and offer refugee families in tents dignified aid
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech civic organization Konexe celebrates 10th anniversary and Roma Resistance Day in Prague with discussion about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Czech Interior Minister: Temporary shelter will be built so refugees do not have sleep in the hallways of the main train station in Prague
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- Czech region puts 40 Romani refugees from Ukraine in tents near Pardubice, abandons others in the city center, local Roma had to aid them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech Interior Ministry plan to house Romani refugees from Ukraine scuppered by Regional Governors, four bids sought from private sector instead