Roma organizations open consultation on trafficking
The European Roma Rights Center, an international public interest law organisation working to combat anti-Romani racism and human rights abuse of Roma held on the 1st of July an informal consultation in Budapest on trafficking in human beings from a Roma perspective.
Different organisations such as the Roma Education Fund, the European Women’s Lobby, the International Romani Union and Terre des hommes – Child Relief were invited to discuss the role of Roma organisations and Roma communities in the fight against trafficking in human beings.
The consultation aim was to determine what are the social determinants behind the trafficking of human beings of Roma origin and to deepen the discussion over the factors potentially leading to an increased vulnerability of Roma communities to trafficking.
The inclusion and relevance of child begging and early and/or arranged marriage into the scope of trafficking in human beings were debated, while assessing positive and negative consequences of such an inclusion for Roma communities.
The last part of the consultation consisted in identifying the role of Roma organizations in the process of prevention of trafficking in human beings and what are the next steps to be taken by Roma organizations in order to fight a phenomenon that significantly affects Roma communities.
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- ERRC Condemns Collective Punishment of Roma in Europe
- British MPs reject Brexit agreement - what now for the EU citizens of Roma origin there?
- EU analysis finds main target of pro-Kremlin disinformation last year was Ukraine
- Eastern Slovakia: Four stories that defy anti-Roma stereotypes
- Fifteen anti-racist and Roma NGOs call on EU countries to commit to updating their Romani Integration Strategies after 2020
- Slovak Foreign Minister expresses gratitude to the EU for peace and security, warns against hateful ideologies
- EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic