Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
Romani youth athlete Annamária Horváthová, who became known as the "girl in flats", won the 1 500 meter event in the individual category during the recent championship in eastern Slovakia, according to her trainers. She has also been racking up other athletic successes recently.
At the national level of the youth championship, Horváthová came in third in the 1 500 meter event and fifth in the 800 meter event. Her story began two years ago, when a photograph of her standing in first place on the winners' tribunal captured attention on social media.
The photograph showed Horváthová wearing the flats in which she raced to victory over her competitors, who wore more standard footwear. Despite living in very impoverished conditions in a shack in the Romani settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou, she won the local 750 meter event in 2018, beating more than 400 other children.
Her talent was noticed by a local athletics club, who took her on and is supporting her financially. After one year of training she became the best runner in her category in eastern Slovakia.
"She is a medium-range runner. Currently she is the best runner in eastern Slovakia in the category of the female pupils in the upper grades," said Norbert Pecze, chair of the Athletic Legion Club in Moldava nad Bodvou to which Horváthová belongs.
- Slovak President commemorates WWII-era National Uprising to which Roma also contributed
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Author Monika Duždová compares life for Romani people in England and Slovakia
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Austrian SozialMarie award goes to Slovak project Dom.ov aiding Romani families with building housing
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Jan Cina wins Czech Television's StarDance 2021 competition with Adriana Mašková
- Final round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" to broadcast this weekend, Romani family act makes the finals
- Dominik Oračko, Romani weightlifter, given regional honor in the Czech Republic
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Romani musician Tibor Žida advances to the next round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" with his version of the Czechoslovak national anthem
- Popular Romani musician Rytmus to box Gábor Boráros in Slovakia
- Romani singer Bertík Girga overwhelms "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" jurors, evoking tears, hugs, and a standing ovation
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. the "Gypsy King", has defended his title as boxing champion of the world