Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
Romani youth athlete Annamária Horváthová, who became known as the "girl in flats", won the 1 500 meter event in the individual category during the recent championship in eastern Slovakia, according to her trainers. She has also been racking up other athletic successes recently.
At the national level of the youth championship, Horváthová came in third in the 1 500 meter event and fifth in the 800 meter event. Her story began two years ago, when a photograph of her standing in first place on the winners' tribunal captured attention on social media.
The photograph showed Horváthová wearing the flats in which she raced to victory over her competitors, who wore more standard footwear. Despite living in very impoverished conditions in a shack in the Romani settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou, she won the local 750 meter event in 2018, beating more than 400 other children.
Her talent was noticed by a local athletics club, who took her on and is supporting her financially. After one year of training she became the best runner in her category in eastern Slovakia.
"She is a medium-range runner. Currently she is the best runner in eastern Slovakia in the category of the female pupils in the upper grades," said Norbert Pecze, chair of the Athletic Legion Club in Moldava nad Bodvou to which Horváthová belongs.
- Slovak President commemorates WWII-era National Uprising to which Roma also contributed
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Author Monika Duždová compares life for Romani people in England and Slovakia
- Slovak NGO reports that Romani children from excluded localities lack the online distance learning option
- Austrian SozialMarie award goes to Slovak project Dom.ov aiding Romani families with building housing
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Romani kickboxer wins quarter-final of cage match on Czech-Slovak OKTAGON MMA show, withdraws after injury
- Chess player, age 11, is a Romani talent from Slovakia who is defeating adult competitors
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma: We don't want closed settlements, testing residents for COVID-19 will prevent repressive measures