Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
P.A.T. and Rytmus have released a new video for their song "Neprispôsobiví" ("Inadaptables"). The harsh lyrics are about racism against Romani people.
The video features unabashedly vulgar lyrics accompanying clips of racists. "Hey you racist, your state and your media painted your picture of me ..." or "You tar us all with the same brush because the media never show a Gypsy living normally" are some of the lyrics.
"I'm standing here for my race, ok, I know we are not blameless, but what you think of me was put in your mind by the tv news ...," raps P. A. T., who does not hold back and makes it fully clear in the new single that Romani people are frequently depicted by the Government or the media in a negative light only, which further perpetuates discriminatory and racist opinions about them in society.
"Czechs and Slovaks are drunk on hatred," the rapper says. The chorus, sung by Rytmus, is: "It's always just us, the inadaptables. You created us, yes, we are in your image."
Some of those holding picture frames around their faces in the video include the singer Monika Bagárová and Igor Kmeťo. The new song was released on 2 April and has immediately become a hit, with the harsh, strong lyrics prompting various responses.
Many people who have seen the video are posting to online social networks to say that finally somebody from the Romani community is expressing how much they dislike the way society approaches them. They disagree with tarring all Romani people with the same brush and despite the "incorrect" way the rappers express themselves, they like the composition.
Some are also critical of the piece and dislike the lyrics. Reportedly they consider them too inappropriate and vulgar.
- ROMEA broadcast live online Saturday's concert by Romani rapper Rytmus and others
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- Palestinian and Romani hiphop artists: "Rap is the CNN of ordinary people"
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- European Commission VP Věra Jourová: Not enough was done during the last decade for Roma, the EC is launching a new 10-year plan
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Romani candidate in Czech regional elections says politicians don't have to be corrupt
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- COMMENTARY: Romani actors should refuse to perpetuate stereotypes in Czech television programs