Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
P.A.T. and Rytmus have released a new video for their song "Neprispôsobiví" ("Inadaptables"). The harsh lyrics are about racism against Romani people.
The video features unabashedly vulgar lyrics accompanying clips of racists. "Hey you racist, your state and your media painted your picture of me ..." or "You tar us all with the same brush because the media never show a Gypsy living normally" are some of the lyrics.
"I'm standing here for my race, ok, I know we are not blameless, but what you think of me was put in your mind by the tv news ...," raps P. A. T., who does not hold back and makes it fully clear in the new single that Romani people are frequently depicted by the Government or the media in a negative light only, which further perpetuates discriminatory and racist opinions about them in society.
"Czechs and Slovaks are drunk on hatred," the rapper says. The chorus, sung by Rytmus, is: "It's always just us, the inadaptables. You created us, yes, we are in your image."
Some of those holding picture frames around their faces in the video include the singer Monika Bagárová and Igor Kmeťo. The new song was released on 2 April and has immediately become a hit, with the harsh, strong lyrics prompting various responses.
Many people who have seen the video are posting to online social networks to say that finally somebody from the Romani community is expressing how much they dislike the way society approaches them. They disagree with tarring all Romani people with the same brush and despite the "incorrect" way the rappers express themselves, they like the composition.
Some are also critical of the piece and dislike the lyrics. Reportedly they consider them too inappropriate and vulgar.
- ROMEA broadcast live online Saturday's concert by Romani rapper Rytmus and others
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- Palestinian and Romani hiphop artists: "Rap is the CNN of ordinary people"
- Czech mayor allegedly bribed Romani voters with free beer and rap tickets
- Slovakia: Rapper Rytmus condemns TV moderator - "Hitler would be proud of her"
- Czech rapper Bonus: Alone in the dead of night, heading upstream
- Czech rapper disqualified from competition for promoting violence against women
- Romani rappers: Avoid Czech practical primary schools
- Slovak MEP condemns brutal murder in Ireland and the principle of collective blame against Roma
- Slovak census: More than 156 000 people declared Romani nationality, more than 100 000 declared Romanes as their mother tongue
- Editors at Slovak news server apologize for anti-Romani, racist joke, but legislator is filing a complaint
- Czech census sees 65 % rise in number of people declaring Romani nationality
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Jarmila Balážová: Petr Uhl stood up for Romani people many times
- DNA samples of Romani people taken to ascertain their ethnic origin were handled unethically and the data was misused
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš