Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
P.A.T. and Rytmus have released a new video for their song "Neprispôsobiví" ("Inadaptables"). The harsh lyrics are about racism against Romani people.
The video features unabashedly vulgar lyrics accompanying clips of racists. "Hey you racist, your state and your media painted your picture of me ..." or "You tar us all with the same brush because the media never show a Gypsy living normally" are some of the lyrics.
"I'm standing here for my race, ok, I know we are not blameless, but what you think of me was put in your mind by the tv news ...," raps P. A. T., who does not hold back and makes it fully clear in the new single that Romani people are frequently depicted by the Government or the media in a negative light only, which further perpetuates discriminatory and racist opinions about them in society.
"Czechs and Slovaks are drunk on hatred," the rapper says. The chorus, sung by Rytmus, is: "It's always just us, the inadaptables. You created us, yes, we are in your image."
Some of those holding picture frames around their faces in the video include the singer Monika Bagárová and Igor Kmeťo. The new song was released on 2 April and has immediately become a hit, with the harsh, strong lyrics prompting various responses.
Many people who have seen the video are posting to online social networks to say that finally somebody from the Romani community is expressing how much they dislike the way society approaches them. They disagree with tarring all Romani people with the same brush and despite the "incorrect" way the rappers express themselves, they like the composition.
Some are also critical of the piece and dislike the lyrics. Reportedly they consider them too inappropriate and vulgar.
- ROMEA broadcast live online Saturday's concert by Romani rapper Rytmus and others
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovakia failed to properly investigate police brutality against Romani children
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- Czech court finally rules football fans' actions during attack on Black man should be considered misdemeanors, not felonies
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- Czech census official tells ROMEA TV all identifying information will be removed from census forms to guarantee anonymity
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Czech Prosecutor General appeals case to Supreme Court, says antisemitic death threats are a crime, not a misdemeanor
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died