Romani singer sues Beyoncé, claiming she used her music without permission
Agence France-Presse reports that Mónika Juhász Miczura, a Romani singer from Hungary, is suing Beyoncé because she is convinced the American superstar stole a musical motif of hers and used it in her song "Drunk in Love". According to the Romani singer, the music was used without permission.
The song, from the album "Beyoncé", which was nominated for several Grammies in 2014, begins with an a cappella song that gradually fades away, after which Beyoncé begins to sing. Miczura, who performs under the artistic name Mitsou, says the opening vocal has been stolen from her work.
In a lawsuit filed in New York, Mitsou claims the vocal is a digitally altered sample from her song "Bajba, Bajba", which she recorded in 1995 and learned from her grandmother. According to her, it is an old traditional Romani song.
"The song is about hopelessness, when one can't trust anyone but one's mother and God," Mitsou said. In the song "Drunk in Love", Beyoncé and her husband, the rapper Jay-Z, are singing about marital happiness.
The lawsuit states that Beyoncé and Jay-Z did not request permission to use the Romani song and have caused the Romani singer irrecoverable damage and emotional harm. Mitsou does not list an amount of compensation sought in her suit, but merely states that her voice is heard in 29 % of "Drunk in Love".
In the past Mitsou has collaborated, for example, on Tony Gatlif's films, including the film "Gadžo Dilo", which won the Ceasar national prize for film music in France in 1999. Mitsou is a former member of the popular Romani group Ando Drom from Hungary.
Beyoncé released the album with the song "Drunk in Love" and an accompanying video in December 2013. The piece has been viewed more than 242 million times on YouTube.com and the album "Beyoncé" has sold around five million copies.
- Neo-Nazi music group makes the Czech Republic's Top 10
- Belgian mayor drives Romani campers out with loud music
- Czech dramaturg resigns after moderators humiliate Romani musicians on live tv
- European Center of Romani Music production about Lety concentration camp for Romani people
- Roma Activist Musician Assaulted in Serbia
- Khamoro 2013, Friday: Concert of traditional Roma music
- German neo-Nazis making millions on racist music and promotional materials
- Interview with Vadim Kolpakov, Romani musician from Russia, on integration
- 'Ghetto Hope': music opens doors to gypsy children
- Slovak neo-Nazis attack music club in Bratislava
- Petition to remove ban on Roma music
- Hip-hop musician Gipsy appointed ambassador for minorities
- Romany music festival opens in Czech open air museum
- Czech Romany band in European world music top ten
- Top Gypsy musician celebrated around world — scorned by many back home
- Hungarian Supreme Court says camerawoman who kicked asylum-seekers committed misdemeanor and can no longer be prosecuted
- Celebrated Romani composer Tomáš Kačo releases debut CD "My Home" and will perform soon in Prague
- Live online broadcast TODAY of benefit concert in Prague to support Romani accident victim's medical treatment
- EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking gets a rewrite, this time as a Romani girl
- Czech capital to see seminar on stereotypes in the photographic depictions of Jewish and Romani people
- Europe's Romani community asked to nominate films for AKE DIKHEA? festival, DEADLINE 15 OCTOBER
- Hungarian Scouts claim they did not discriminate against Romani applicants
- Czech landlord allegedly threatens to pull the plug tonight on evictees' amplified displacement party
- Hungarian Parliament approves law sanctioning NGOs, amends Constitution to prevent "foreign settlement"
- Hungary: Traffickers in human beings sentenced to 25 years for 71 deaths, prosecutor wants life sentences
- Miroslav Rác: 21st century classical music teaching the lessons of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
Tags:Hudba, Culture, Hungary, Videoklipy
Czech court finds author of death threats against human rights defenders committed a politically-motivated hate crime14.11.2018 8:46
Czech archaeological samples yet to find exact location of victims' mass grave at Romani genocide site12.11.2018 18:07
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.