Romea.cz interviews authors of the "official" version of the Romani anthem
Does there now finally exist an official, standardized form of the Romani anthem? Has the situation in which hundreds of various versions of the anthem were being played for different occasions at different places now been overcome?
The Moldovan Choral Music Association claims it has and that its recording represents precisely this long-sought official version. News server Romea.cz reported on these claims here, but we were not satisfied with the claims of those who authored this recording, so we asked them the following questions:
- Why do you believe your version is actually the correct one?
- Do you believe Romani people throughout Europe and worldwide will accept this version?
- Don't you believe that discussions about the "correct version" will continue and that this will simply become just the "101st version"?
- Who is supposed to decide which version is the correct, official, right one?
- Who represents the Romani people as a nation?
Andriano Marian has responded on behalf of the Rromaanthem project: "Our version is fully based on Jarko Jovanović's original notations. We have merely arranged it for a symphony orchestra, the harmonies and melody have not been changed."
Marian explains that the original version of the song "Gelem, Gelem" by Jovanović was adopted as the Romani anthem at the first World Romani Congress in 1971. He adds: "This project has been supported by the Open Society Foundations and its Roma Initiatives Office, which is the center of all Romani initiatives in Europe and worldwide in various areas - in the fields of culture, law, social inclusion and other areas. I don't have anything else to add to this discussion - you have the right to accept or reject this standardized version."
Yes. At least it is possible to fully agree with that final statement.
- Is this the official version of the international Romani anthem?
- Documentary shows Roma from Slovak settlements singing with non-Romani musicians
- Romani singer sues Beyoncé, claiming she used her music without permission
- Czech dramaturg resigns after moderators humiliate Romani musicians on live tv
- European Center of Romani Music production about Lety concentration camp for Romani people
- European Centre for Roma Music producing "Gypsy Rhapsody"
- Roma Activist Musician Assaulted in Serbia
- Bregovic breaks down racism with 'gypsy' music
- Interview with Vadim Kolpakov, Romani musician from Russia, on integration
- 'Ghetto Hope': music opens doors to gypsy children
- Iva Bittová to close out this spring's "Rebelling Ladies of Czech Music" concert series
- Mário Bihári, Roma athlete and musician: "Blind people don't have to be restricted in sports"
- Petition to remove ban on Roma music
- Hip-hop musician Gipsy appointed ambassador for minorities
- Romany music festival opens in Czech open air museum
- Zeljko Jovanovic: This year's success is just the beginning, Romani culture at the Venice Biennale transcends national borders
- Czech university launches website with dictionaries of the Romanes language and orthography
- Romani singer Bertík Girga overwhelms "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" jurors, evoking tears, hugs, and a standing ovation
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Petr Ščuka: Romani flag accessories with Swarovski crystals are popular
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture collaborates on first-ever posters for primary schools about Romani art, history, language, literature and music
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- Civil society skeptical as to whether EU Member States will align with European Commission's 10-year Roma Strategy
- "Czechs Are Helping" initiative to hold benefit Romani music concert to raise money for children in Greek refugee camps
- Romani fashion designer Pavel Berky joins the top 16 round of the Czech edition of the MasterChef competition