Russian social network blocks "Miss Hitler" beauty contest after Israeli media contact
The news server timesofisrael.com reports that Russia's online social network Vkontakte (VK), which is similar to the US-based social network Facebook, has blocked a page dedicated to Adolf Hitler that was hosting an online beauty competition called "Miss Hitler". Hundreds of people voted online in the contest and, according to the Hadashot television station in Israel, it was participated in by contestants from Germany, Italy, Russia and the USA.
After Hadashot contacted VK, the competition's page was taken down and a statement condemning hate was issued by the social network. The page used by the contest was replaced with a page stating that it had been blocked because it called for violence.
The VK page for "Miss Hitler" had urged the competing women to upload "Nazi-themed sexy selfies" along with a caption describing why "they honor and love Adolf Hitler's Third Reich". Thousands of people viewed it before it was removed.
Those visiting the page were not afraid to publicize their full names, to post neo-Nazi opinions, or to mention the organizations they belong to. The women sent photographs of themselves giving the Nazi salute, among other things.
The page described some of the aims of the competition as promoting "Hitlerian culture", encouraging interaction among members of the "Hitlerian community", rehabilitating the image of Adolf Hitler, and even as "defending and protecting" women. The Israeli company Vocative came across it while conducting an online analysis of different kinds of content in 15 languages.
This is the second time Vocative has discovered a pro-Nazi beauty contest on VK. A prior discovery led to the blocking of a similar effort in 2014.
- Czech Supreme Court overturns acquittal on publication of Hitler's speeches, wants more evidence
- Russia: The World Cup begins with concerns about homophobia, racism, and violence
- Czech singer gets married on Hitler's birthday at a chateau where the SS were headquartered
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda
- Austria: Hitler impersonator arrested for appearing in the Nazi leader's home town
- US Professor Ian Hancock on the Miss Roma competition: Romani girls don't need to sell their beauty
- Commentary: Slovakia's Fascist governor and racist beauty queen
- Czech Govt delegation faces protest in Israel over EdMin appointee Bátora
- Roma Activists Denounce 'Racist' Beauty Pageant
- ROMEA: Czech President has manipulated facts yet again - we can prove 70 % of Romani people in this country work
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic: It's normal to oppose Fascism and racism
- A quarter of a century ago, 18 racists hounded a Romani man to death; the Czech courts convicted just three
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Local Prague candidate seems to have given Nazi salute at demonstration, extremist party she is running for disavows her
- Slovakia: Chair of neo-Nazi party indicted for using Nazi symbols on checks
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- German Police find right-wing extremists' list of 25 000 "enemies"
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- German court sentences neo-Nazi to life in prison
- Czech Police charge young woman over hateful online speech against first-graders
Tags:Adolf Hitler, Izrael, Miss, Nenávist, Neo-Nazism, Russia
Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on public broadcaster to hold a real debate about Romani issues16.10.2018 10:58
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.