Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
On the occasion of International Romani Day, Bratislava's Hant Arena hosted its fifth annual football match last Friday between Romani teams from all over Slovakia and teams comprised of diplomats, journalists and politicians. The tournament is organized by the Embassy of the United States of America in Bratislava.
"Eight teams play in the tournament, two of which are comprised of a Romani side: the Roma from westerm Slovakia are represented by selected players from Plavecký Štvrtok, while the Roma from the east are represented by a team with players from Košice's Luník IX housing estate and from Moldava nad Bodvou," organizers informed TASR, the Slovak wire service. The tournament was also joined by teams of diplomats, journalists, MPs, and the staffers of non-governmental and youth organizations.
At the beginning of the tournament those playing were addressed by US Ambassador Adam Sterling, by State Secretary Peter Krajňák of the Education Ministry, and by the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community, Ábel Ravasz. The program of the tournament was also spiced up with a performance by a Romani choral ensemble - from a primary school where the instructional language is Hungarian - in Moldava nad Bodvou.
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Slovak town bans demonstration by fascists out of respect for Holocaust victims
- Commentary by Czech MEP Zdechovský: Roma need work, not welfare!
- Slovak Government says new data show quality of life for Roma is gradually improving
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day