Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
On the occasion of International Romani Day, Bratislava's Hant Arena hosted its fifth annual football match last Friday between Romani teams from all over Slovakia and teams comprised of diplomats, journalists and politicians. The tournament is organized by the Embassy of the United States of America in Bratislava.
"Eight teams play in the tournament, two of which are comprised of a Romani side: the Roma from westerm Slovakia are represented by selected players from Plavecký Štvrtok, while the Roma from the east are represented by a team with players from Košice's Luník IX housing estate and from Moldava nad Bodvou," organizers informed TASR, the Slovak wire service. The tournament was also joined by teams of diplomats, journalists, MPs, and the staffers of non-governmental and youth organizations.
At the beginning of the tournament those playing were addressed by US Ambassador Adam Sterling, by State Secretary Peter Krajňák of the Education Ministry, and by the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community, Ábel Ravasz. The program of the tournament was also spiced up with a performance by a Romani choral ensemble - from a primary school where the instructional language is Hungarian - in Moldava nad Bodvou.
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Slovak court says school, not state, is responsible for segregating Romani children
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- Slovak Prosecutor says party head clearly used neo-Nazi symbolism so his followers would know his views
- European Court of Human Rights rules against Slovakia in case of police brutality against Roma