Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
On the occasion of International Romani Day, Bratislava's Hant Arena hosted its fifth annual football match last Friday between Romani teams from all over Slovakia and teams comprised of diplomats, journalists and politicians. The tournament is organized by the Embassy of the United States of America in Bratislava.
"Eight teams play in the tournament, two of which are comprised of a Romani side: the Roma from westerm Slovakia are represented by selected players from Plavecký Štvrtok, while the Roma from the east are represented by a team with players from Košice's Luník IX housing estate and from Moldava nad Bodvou," organizers informed TASR, the Slovak wire service. The tournament was also joined by teams of diplomats, journalists, MPs, and the staffers of non-governmental and youth organizations.
At the beginning of the tournament those playing were addressed by US Ambassador Adam Sterling, by State Secretary Peter Krajňák of the Education Ministry, and by the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community, Ábel Ravasz. The program of the tournament was also spiced up with a performance by a Romani choral ensemble - from a primary school where the instructional language is Hungarian - in Moldava nad Bodvou.
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- LIVE at 14:00 CET: Three European Roma TV stations to produce magazine program
- UN Committee: Racial discrimination against Romani people persists unabated in Slovakia
- Kamil Polakovič, the King of Romani Songs, has passed away in Slovakia
- President of Slovakia Zuzana Čaputová posts in Romanes for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day: Te e historija na avel pale kampel te achaľol, so hin ňenavisť
- Bizarre Czech mixed martial arts pay-per-view program "Clash of the Stars" features fighter with criminal record who spouts antigypsyist rhetoric
- British authorities sentence couple who enslaved Romani youth to nine and 16 years in prison respectively
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. "The Gypsy King", again defends his boxing title as world champion
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová met with Roma students on the occasion of World Roma Day
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities joins aid effort for refugees from Ukraine, monitoring patrols will make sure Romani refugees are assisted too
- Slovak firefighter tells ROMEA TV his remarks about Roma from Ukraine were based on what they themselves told him and the Czech reporter misunderstood him
- Slovak Interior Minister refuses to comment on firefighter's racist remarks about Romani refugees from Ukraine