Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable
MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member on the Crisis Team created by the Slovak Government to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, has strongly condemned an attack committed Monday by a police officer in Krompachy who is said to have used a truncheon to beat five young children from a quarantined settlement. According to the children's testimony, the officer threatened to shoot them as well.
The reason he used force, allegedly, was that the children were collecting wood and playing outside of the quarantine zone. "Attacking children is unacceptable," the MEP said in a video posted to Facebook.
"Yesterday I filed a motion with the Interior Ministry Inspection Authority to investigate this brutal beating by police officers who were striking defenseless children in Krompachy under quarantine. It is absurd for anybody in uniform to even raise their hand to children," the MEP said.
"This is unprofessional and what's more, it's illegal. If this was done by a police officer, he must atone for it," the MEP said.
Slovak MP Jarmila Vaňová, also from the Romani community and with the governing OĽANO party, condemned the attack on the Romani children yesterday. The incident is the third controversial intervention by police against Romani people to have been reported so far during the COVID-19 pandemic in Slovakia.
The previous cases involved police officers intervening with force against adult Roma - for example, over the Roman Catholic Easter weekend, the officers used force against Romani people in Bardějov. The reason was said to be that a Romani man was not wearing a face mask in public.
The MEP also filed a motion with the Interior Ministry Inspection Authority over that incident as well. In mid-April video footage was posted to social media of police officers intervening with force against a Romani man for not wearing a face mask in Bánovce nad Bebravou, Slovakia.
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Slovak Government program declaration says it counts on improving the position of Romani people
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response
- Slovak Police engage in yet another dubious intervention against Romani man who was smoking in front of his home without a face mask
- Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- Slovak NGOs call on Government to stop discriminating against Romani people in the context of testing for COVID-19 and closing settlements
- Slovakia: Five Romani-inhabited settlements are being closed for quarantine, 30+ COVID-19 infected persons found so far
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- After European Court of Human Rights ruling, Slovak court acquits yet another Romani victim wrongfully indicted for reporting a brutal police attack
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic