Slovak MEP Peter Pollák calls Putin the "Devil's son" in interview with Roma in Kharkiv being fired upon by Russian soldiers
The inhabitants of Kharkiv, Ukraine are experiencing difficult moments under fire, yesterday morning Russian rockets hit the headquarters of the Kharkiv Regional Administration in the city center. Other destroyed buildings include the Opera, the Philharmonic, and residential buildings.
In one building a 40-member group of Romani people, children included, are surrounded by Putin's soldiers. Slovak MEP Peter Pollák has posted an video interview with those residents to Facebook in which he calls Putin the "Devil's son".
"A moment ago I had the opportunity to speak with Romani people in Kharkiv, Ukraine who are surrounded by Putin's solders. What is happening in Kharkiv, in Kyiv and in the other Ukrainian cities where people are hiding in bomb shelters or cellars to protect their very lives from Putin's army is something I would not wish on anybody in the world. Anybody who can commit such evil must be the Devil's son," the MEP said.
"I don't understand how anybody can order rockets to be shot at innocent civilians who have certainly never done anything to harm Putin," the MEP added. In a telephone interview that was eventually cut off, the local Roma describe the critical situation they have ended up in along with their children, surrounded by the Russian Army.
"They are bombing us, the bombs keep falling, planes are flying overhead. I don't know how to get out of here," one Romani man describes the situation with emotion.
"There are 40 of us Roma here, 15 are children. We are afraid the Russian soldiers will find us," the man says.
- The Times: Putin has sent mercenaries to Kyiv led by an admirer of the Nazis to murder Zelenskyy and the Klitschko brothers
- Roman Rác, Dušan Kotlár, Petr Goral and Jana Pavlíková have gone to aid refugees on the Slovak-Ukrainian border
- Roma from Kherson oblast in Ukraine capture tank from Russian occupiers
- Roma in the Czech Republic and Slovakia join aid efforts for victims of Russian aggression in Ukraine
- Czech foundation launches collection to aid Romani children, communities and families in Ukraine
- Young Romani activist from Ukraine: Stop this war! Ask your representatives to call on Russia to withdraw its troops from Ukraine
- Viktor Chovka: Roma in the Ukrainian Army are fighting the Russian occupiers, we were born in Ukraine and are defending it
- Czech Republic: RomanoNet condemns barbaric attack by Russia on Ukraine, expresses support to Roma and all inhabitants of Ukraine in their fight for freedom and independence
- Commentary: Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner declares her strong opposition to racially-motivated differential treatment of refugees, calls for solidarity
- Czech Senate adopts resolution condemning the Public Defender of Rights for repeatedly making biased, xenophobic remarks
- New guidebook on children aging out of institutional care hopes to make their transition to adulthood easier in the Czech Republic
- Czech capital and Government to "investigate" measures to motivate refugees from Ukraine to relocate from "overloaded" places
- Image of a Romani woman allegedly beaten up by Ukrainians is going viral, Czech police say they are investigating a reported robbery
- Czech NGO quarterly newsletter about foreign nationals focuses on the situation in Ukraine and refugees in the Czech Republic
- Czech region asks Central Crisis Team to build refugee camp at the border, Romani children and women who are refugees from Ukraine evicted from private accommodation into refugee facilities
- Czech Consortium of NGOs Working with Migrants: Nonprofits are aiding refugees without financing from the state and are substituting for what the state itself should be doing
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers