Slovak neo-Nazi and MP Milan Mazurek prosecuted for racist remarks about Roma
Slovak media report that police officers from the National Criminal Agency (NAKA) in Slovakia have begun criminal proceedings against Slovak MP Milan Mazurek (Kotleba-ĽSNS) over his abusive remarks about Romani people made during an interview with the Frontinus radio station in Žilina. Mazurek is accused of making generalizing remarks about all Romani people which the moderator also did nothing to correct.
"In January of this year, a detective from NAKA began the criminal proceedings in the matter of defaming, inciting hatred against and threatening persons because of their ethnicity, nationality, origin or skin color," Michal Slivka, spokesperson for the Police Presidium, told television station TA3. Local police in Žilina first investigated the remarks.
NAKA took over the case at the beginning of 2017. "We don't need to pour EUR 300 million for seven or eight years into just one community, to build playgrounds in the gypsy settlements so they can break the equipment, to build preschools so they can destroy them, we don't need to teach them to dance or to use a computer, we need to put them to work," Mazurek said during the interview.
"EUR 150 million will be used just for houses in those gypsy settlements, for people who have made no contributions to our culture, to our nation, or to our state budget - exactly the opposite, they have decided to live an asocial lifestyle and have sucked our social welfare system dry, " the MP from the fascist ĽSNS party alleged. News server Aktuality.sk reported that the radio staion that broadcast the interview with Mazurek has a problem now also.
According to the Broadcasting Council, the station did not make sure the political journalism program it broadcast was objective. "Also, the station may have violated the ban on either covertly or openly disparaging, inciting hatred against, or vilifying people on the basis of their ethnicity, their faith and religion, or their nationality," the Broadcasting Council said in its official standpoint on the matter.
- Karin Marques: A visit to the Romani children in the Slovak schools
- Are dogs being abused in Romani settlements in Slovakia? Romea.cz asks the authorities and experts
- Amnesty International and European Roma Rights Centre: Situation for Romani children in Slovakia is not improving
- Researcher finds first photograph of Romani community member as a Czechoslovak soldier, seeks those who remember Imrich Horváth
- Slovak President vetoes law to end runoff voting for Regional Governors
- Stano Daniel: We need to rescue dogs from Slovakia's settlements but not humans?
- Slovak Police investigate suspected racially-motivated assault against dark-skinned French student
- Slovak Regional Governor spreads rumors about attempted rape on a train, police refute them
- Slovak TV program focuses on Romani girl who studies despite living without electricity
- Researcher seeks US veterans and others with information about Romani WWII veteran from Czechoslovakia
- Slovak Police charge woman with threatening Muslims and Roma through Facebook, she faces six years in prison
- Slovakia: Criminal charges filed against play about neo-Nazi arson attack in Czech Republic
- Slovak Parliament changes regional election rules, extremists could benefit
- Slovakia: Romani businessman stopped from distributing food to the homeless by authorities
- Slovakia: Black model in ad sparks racist commentary
- Slovak Prime Minister refers to Romani people as "Gypsies" during media appearances
- Slovakia: More than 50 children from socially deprived families institutionalized since year began
- Slovakia: Entrepreneur organizes food distribution to the needy
- Slovakia: MP for fascist party criticizes recipients of state honors because of their origins and work
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Slovenian scandal when weekly close to PM says God sent COVID-19 to "protect whites from corruption"
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- COMMENTARY: Czech TV show portrays Roma as nothing but criminals