Slovak Police engage in yet another dubious intervention against Romani man who was smoking in front of his home without a face mask
Video footage of a recent incident involving police and a Romani man in Bánovce nad Bebranvou has been posted to Facebook. The video shows police officers arresting a Romani man; according to his nephew, the man had been smoking a cigarette in front of his home and was not wearing a face mask.
The police can be seen using force to subdue the man in the video. What preceded the incident is not included in the footage.
"The officers asked where his face mask was. My uncle answered that his mask was in his house, behind him, and that he was just smoking a cigarette. They asked for his identification, which my uncle also had in the house, and despite the fact that he gave them his information, they wanted to arrest him," said the nephew.
"My uncle did not want to give himself up because basically they had no reason to arrest him. I would like to underscore that the officers did not use the standard arrest method of putting his hands behind his back and handcuffing him. They immediately shoved him against the car and twisted his arm. They pressed on his neck and my uncle was choking. What's more, the officers themselves weren't wearing the required face masks correctly either," the nephew posted to Facebook.
The video shared by the nephew shows the police intervention, but not what led up to it. According to the press spokesperson of the Regional Police Directorate in Trenčín, Pavel Kudlička, the intervention was conducted as per regulations.
"The officers in this case proceeded in accordance with the regulations. The man was arrested for assaulting the officers," the press spokesperson told Romea.cz, adding that the arrested man has previously been convicted of committing felony violence.
The incident is the second one involving a dubious intervention by Slovak police officers against Romani people not wearing face masks in public. A similar incident happened over Easter weekend in Bardějov.
- Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- Slovak NGOs call on Government to stop discriminating against Romani people in the context of testing for COVID-19 and closing settlements
- Slovakia: Five Romani-inhabited settlements are being closed for quarantine, 30+ COVID-19 infected persons found so far
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Czech Police arrest purveyors of disinformation who hatefully threatened refugees from Ukraine, court remands them into custody
- President of Slovakia Zuzana Čaputová posts in Romanes for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day: Te e historija na avel pale kampel te achaľol, so hin ňenavisť
- Czech Police find 65 cases of criminal approval of Russian aggression against Ukraine, charges filed in 30 cases so far
- Children's conflict in Czech town grows into argument between refugee family from Ukraine and a small group of Romani people, police and medical responders called to the scene
- British authorities sentence couple who enslaved Romani youth to nine and 16 years in prison respectively
- Romania: 37-year-old Roma man alleges police brutality, European Court of Human Rights has found the state liable for more than 20 such violations since 2015
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Slovakia to compensate Romani victims of police brutality after nine years of judicial procedures
- Image of a Romani woman allegedly beaten up by Ukrainians is going viral, Czech police say they are investigating a reported robbery
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here