Slovak politician's billboards reading "STOP LGBT" removed after NGO petition
In Slovakia the Human Rights Institute, Rainbow Slovakia and Slovak Political Watchdog NGOs jointly filed a criminal report over billboards inciting hatred against the LGBT community. Last week the EuroAWK firm, which provided the billboard space, said they believed the advertisements were in accordance with applicable legislation and were not problematic.
The NGOs, however, managed to accumulate more than 15 000 signatures on a petition calling for the billboards to be removed. "Many remarks made by the representatives of that party can be characterized as aimed at violating human rights, but according to our lawyer, this is the most serious one of all, because when spoken by fans of the 'SlovakState', the phrase 'Stop LGBT!' can be comprehended as a call for people's physical destruction," a Human Rights Institute representative told news server Startitup.sk, emphasizing that the lawyers believe EuroAWK's approach to the issue was incorrect.
The lawyers said they considered EurAWK's behavior unacceptable for a serious firm. "Naturally the criminal justice authorities should also take action because the de facto impunity enjoyed by the Kotlebites until now just makes them stronger," the representative said.
EuroAWK then decided to remove the billboards despite its previous statement, and also said it would no longer collaborate on such campaigns. It was said that the problematic visuals would be replaced with different content.
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Romani LGBT activist David Tišer on Czech state holiday: Hatemongers are representing us
- Czech ultraconservative alleges that members of minorities defend their rights at the expense of "heterosexual men who are white"
- Czech extremists abuse LGBT pride march in town of Plzeň but fail to block it
- Prague LGBT Pride festival is underway, Roma organizing Hot Chocolate stage at the post-parade party
- Third international Romani LGBTI conference discusses homophobia in non-Romani and Romani society
- Roma at Prague Pride festival say sexual minorities are still taboo in their community
- Commentary by Romani LGBT activist David Tišer on "homosexual prostitution"
- Nations must take a harder line in combating crimes against ethnic and sexual minorities.
- More Czech towns and villages announce they are flying the Romani flag to honor European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Romani activists called on Czech mayors to fly the Romani flag for 2 August, some of their refusals were textbook racism
- European Romani Holocaust Memorial Day marks the murder of more than 4 200 Roma and Sinti by the Nazis on 2-3 August 1944, a death they resisted
- Austrian capital to build memorial to the homosexual victims of Nazism
- Slovak trial of fascist party chair becoming protracted, he alleges the judge is biased
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Germany: AfD press spokesperson fired after claiming to be of "Aryan" origin and espousing fascism
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech Interior Ministry: Hate speech increased in intensity last year
- Video footage surfaces of Slovak politician bragging about throwing Romani people into a river when he was younger
- PHOTO ESSAY Yet another protest against fascist party in Slovakia, Roma turned out as well
- Irena Biháriová: I will not let the extremists own the streets