Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has asked Police President Milan Lučanský to explain the incident Monday in a Romani settlement in Krompachy during which a police officer on duty is said to have beaten five children. "I consider this incident a failure that must be investigated. Milan Lučanský has promised the incident will be investigated by the Police Inspection. In the demanding conditions that quarantine is causing for people living in impoverished dwellings, it is especially important not just to behave lawfully and with the maximum amount of professionalism, but above all, to behave in a humane way," the Slovak media reported the President as saying.
The officer is said to have used his truncheon to beat five young children in the quarantined Romani settlement in Krompachy. According to the children's testimony, he was even said to have threatened to shoot them.
The reason is said to have been that the children were collecting wood and playing outside the quarantine zone. The Romani Union in Slovakia expressed its view of the case yesterday and asked that an independent commission investigate the incident out of concerns that the Inspection Authority at the Interior Ministry is biased.
Andrea Bučková, the Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities, condemned the intervention. The incident was also sharply criticized by the former Plenipotentiary and current MEP Peter Pollák.
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Slovak Government program declaration says it counts on improving the position of Romani people
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response
- Slovak Police engage in yet another dubious intervention against Romani man who was smoking in front of his home without a face mask
- Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- Slovak NGOs call on Government to stop discriminating against Romani people in the context of testing for COVID-19 and closing settlements
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous