Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
International Romani Day is celebrated on 8 April every year. Today the President of the Slovak Republic, Zuzana Čaputová, spoke to Romani people and thanked them for being involved in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
As is traditional for Čaputová, she even added a few words in Romanes to her message. "Today we are marking International Romani Day. On this occasion I had originally planned to receive a delegation of Romani men and women who are doing a great deal that is good for Slovakia. I wanted to thank them and to continue the sincere dialogue that is so necessary to mutual understanding and collaboration. Although we cannot meet in person today, we remain together in our hearts," she said.
In her speech, the Slovak President thanked Romani people for their involvement in combating the COVID-19 pandemic. She also thanked Romani health care workers and Romani volunteers who are sewing face masks.
The Slovak President said she believes the crisis associated with the pandemic will affect everybody. However, it will impact some even more because of their advanced age, their financial situation, or because their housing is in bad repair.
"I know such people are among you all. I know many of you encounter prejudice because of your ethnicity. I want to assure you that I am President for everybody. I see the inequality, and I want to continue to be a voice for those who cannot otherwise be heard," she concluded.
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Czech state is failing to coordinate distance learning for thousands of children during COVID-19, nonprofits alone can't fix it
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous