Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
International Romani Day is celebrated on 8 April every year. Today the President of the Slovak Republic, Zuzana Čaputová, spoke to Romani people and thanked them for being involved in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
As is traditional for Čaputová, she even added a few words in Romanes to her message. "Today we are marking International Romani Day. On this occasion I had originally planned to receive a delegation of Romani men and women who are doing a great deal that is good for Slovakia. I wanted to thank them and to continue the sincere dialogue that is so necessary to mutual understanding and collaboration. Although we cannot meet in person today, we remain together in our hearts," she said.
In her speech, the Slovak President thanked Romani people for their involvement in combating the COVID-19 pandemic. She also thanked Romani health care workers and Romani volunteers who are sewing face masks.
The Slovak President said she believes the crisis associated with the pandemic will affect everybody. However, it will impact some even more because of their advanced age, their financial situation, or because their housing is in bad repair.
"I know such people are among you all. I know many of you encounter prejudice because of your ethnicity. I want to assure you that I am President for everybody. I see the inequality, and I want to continue to be a voice for those who cannot otherwise be heard," she concluded.
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- Romani activist from Ukraine: The rights of Romani people are neglected and they are persecuted, Russia takes advantage of this for its propaganda about neo-Nazi tensions in Ukraine
- Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights: Roma fleeing Ukraine frequently face discrimination and prejudice
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister gets a haircut at a Romani-owned barbershop to mark World Roma Day
- Michal Mižigár: What myths exist about World Roma Day and what is the reality?
- More than 3 000 people assembled to celebrate World Roma Day in Ostrava, Czech Republic - footage of performances here
- Romani Ukrainian activist: Russia is deceptively accusing Ukraine of Nazism, Romani people from Russia should at least stay neutral
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I wish all Romani men and women the very best for their day today, with all my heart!
- Jihlava, Czech Republic flies the Romani flag in honor of World Roma Day
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová met with Roma students on the occasion of World Roma Day
- European Parliament President warns of growing antigypsyism and sends greetings on World Roma Day
- Czech Prime Minister wishes Romani citizens of the Czech Republic "all the best" on World Roma Day