Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
International Romani Day is celebrated on 8 April every year. Today the President of the Slovak Republic, Zuzana Čaputová, spoke to Romani people and thanked them for being involved in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
As is traditional for Čaputová, she even added a few words in Romanes to her message. "Today we are marking International Romani Day. On this occasion I had originally planned to receive a delegation of Romani men and women who are doing a great deal that is good for Slovakia. I wanted to thank them and to continue the sincere dialogue that is so necessary to mutual understanding and collaboration. Although we cannot meet in person today, we remain together in our hearts," she said.
In her speech, the Slovak President thanked Romani people for their involvement in combating the COVID-19 pandemic. She also thanked Romani health care workers and Romani volunteers who are sewing face masks.
The Slovak President said she believes the crisis associated with the pandemic will affect everybody. However, it will impact some even more because of their advanced age, their financial situation, or because their housing is in bad repair.
"I know such people are among you all. I know many of you encounter prejudice because of your ethnicity. I want to assure you that I am President for everybody. I see the inequality, and I want to continue to be a voice for those who cannot otherwise be heard," she concluded.
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities