Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
The Slovak President spent Friday morning with Romani student youth having breakfast and debating the future of the talented young people at the table, an experience that was very pleasant for many of them. Čaputová had already won the favor of the Romani community by thanking them in Romanes in her acceptance speech.
She has also posted a message and photographs to her Facebook profile expressing her enthusiasm about meeting with the talented young Romani community members. "I'm very pleased by today's meeting with educated, forward-looking young people who want to actively contribute to the development of Slovakia and who already represent it successfully," the post says.
"They are studying biochemistry, pharmacy, pedagogy, social work, technology and many other disciplines, and are also involved in volunteer activities, not just at home, but also abroad. I'm proud of them because they are also an inspiration for the majority," the Slovak President posted.
One such student, Andrea Siváková, attends Prešov University, where she studies the pedagogy of preschool and primary school instruction. Siváková told the Korzár newspaper in Slovakia that: "I was very surprised."
"Madame President is very human. She's very natural, even though she is representing such a post," the student said.
"We had a sincere conversation, it was a pleasant sit-down," Siváková related. The President of Slovakia closed her Facebook post by saying it is necessary to support Romani children in education from their early childhoods.
- Slovak MP insulted Romani people and spread xenophobia, loses his seat after being convicted of felony defamation
- Slovak Fascists want to change laws about online media to prevent libel
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around - continued
- Educator Martin Kaleja: From the Romani settlements in Slovakia to the Czech academic world
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities: We will focus on education and employment
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities tells PM to either fire him or let him do his job
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities