Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
The Government of Slovakia will be transferring all of the persons who tested positive in the closed, Romani-inhabited settlements from their current situations of at-home quarantine into state-run facilities beginning today. MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member who is a member of the Crisis Team, confirmed the decision to TV Markíza.
The television reporting says those found to already be ill have not been complying with the at-home quarantine and are thereby able to infect others in the settlements. "Those who have tested positive and their family members will definitively be going to state-run facilities where the quarantine will be strictly upheld," Pollák told the channel.
The Government had closed a total of five localities where about 6 000 Romani people live because of the positive cases of COVID-19. As of 8 April, 31 infected persons had been discovered.
The strict measures are being criticized by some nonprofits, the Public Defender of Rights, and an award-winning mayor. The current actions taken in the context of the spread of COVID-19 in Romani-inhabited localities are also being criticized by the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities.
- Slovakia: Five Romani-inhabited settlements are being closed for quarantine, 30+ COVID-19 infected persons found so far
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon