Slovakia: Black model in ad sparks racist commentary
A hate campaign on social media has been sparked by an advertisement by a Slovak firm selling sports clothing in which a dark-skinned man is featured. The business has stood up for the black model.
The case is similar to one in the Czech Republic, where a black model was featured in a flier advertising the international retail chain Lidl, with a similar response. "The person in our photo is our good friend Dennis. He's a European like you. He has a college education, a physique like you never will have, and a beautiful wife (who is blonde and white). We chose Dennis for our team because of his fantastic physique and his sports achievements," wrote Martin Pecko, director of the Slovak firm Nebbia, in response to the racist commentaries.
Dennis Johans, age 28, was born in Kenya, has grown up in Norway since the age of two, and has collaborated with the Slovak company before. Pecko said the firm was disappointed by the racist commentaries.
The business has been on the market since 1997. "If there are people among us who have a different skin color than you, and who work 10 hours a day, and who train much harder than you, and who live according to the rules of this society, you have no right to express yourself like that about them!!! Racism has no place in sport or anywhere else," Pecko has written online.
- Slovak Prime Minister refers to Romani people as "Gypsies" during media appearances
- Slovakia: More than 50 children from socially deprived families institutionalized since year began
- Slovakia: Entrepreneur organizes food distribution to the needy
- Slovakia: MP for fascist party criticizes recipients of state honors because of their origins and work
- Slovak President gives state honors to 20 figures, including Czech politician
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Slovak President addresses anti-Romani sentiment in New Year's Day speech
- Slovak PM targets Roma in his speeches, critics say he should focus on his own corruption scandals
- Slovakia: Many youth support the ultra-right, study finds
- About 1 000 Romani residents of a single Slovak village have been working in Britain and now fear Brexit
- Slovak President says education is the way to address Romani issues
- Canada: Czechoslovak Roma express support for Romani celebrity and condemn Czech support for xenophobic band
- Commentary on eviction in Slovakia: A rational society does not make a profit from or save money on the poor
- Slovakia: Study says failure of mainstream parties supports right-wing extremism
- Slovak Roma Spirit awards for 2016 go to antiracist campaigner and Mayor of the Luník IX housing estate
- UN Human Rights Committee asks Slovak Government for independent body to investigate the forced sterilizations of Romani women
- Three-volume biography of Czechoslovak Romani partisan, decades in the making, has been published
- Slovak Parliament bans ultra-right party's "train patrols"
- Slovak President: Politicians should not play with fire and go as far as populism
- Slovakia: Residential hotel in Bratislava refuses to house Romani workers
- Romani heroes: The "Black" Partisan, Josef Serinek
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Slovak bus company caught on video repeatedly denying some Romani passengers service
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities: We will focus on education and employment
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Czech film festival visited by seven Romani children from Slovak settlements to promote "Silent Days"
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online